USPS failure don't use them

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LOL... the government doesn't even use the USPS for its own mailing of important documents.

of the big 3, I've had the best luck with fed ex

wow what a messed up situation. Im glad to hear that everything made it ok. I once ordered something and i think it was usps just left it int the middle of the drive way. I was pissed they couldn't even set it near the door.

The thing is, when you dig down into the USPS's fine print, their "express" delivery is not a "guaranteed" service. In other words, they will try to get it to you ASAP, but if it's a big mail day, or your carrier calls in sick, or you're on a route that doesn't have a consistent carrier, or or or... you're not going to get it when you think you are. But the trade off is that it's waaaay cheaper than UPS/FedEx overnight delivery. Regardless... still sucks.

The thing that just got me a bit ago was that FedEx, at some point, has changed their levels of service. There are now THREE "overnight" options. You've now got:

First Overnight - first thing in the AM, between 8am and 10am
Priority Overnight - first thing in the AM, before 10:30am
Standard Overnight - by 4:30pm at the latest

Didn't realize this until I was waiting for a "standard" overnight package, thinking I'd see it by 10:30am, like always.

Definitely will have to remember that UPS insurance trick.

I've had great luck with FEDEX, Ups lost my mh/ballast and had to pay to get me another.. Funny thing for me is I've never had DHL fail me but no one ships with them :(

All I have to say is that if you use FedEx or USPS you better be careful and pack it well, not only do they fly together but they also receive the same amount of abuse as FedEx packages. I couldn't even begin to give an estimate of how many fish were killed in the fedex ramp I worked at, spilled fish/water was a common occurrence along with broken glass.

Oh and +1 on the insurance thing, they will watch your stuff if they think they are gonna have to pay if they don't.

I think that all shipping methods have their risks. I have heard bad about ups, usps, and fed ex...but what other choices do we reefers have? Fed ex and oddly usps have worked best for me. And being that UPS is one of fed ex's top customers and usps uses fed ex to fly I guess no matter what fed ex is it.

Back