UV sterilizer on reef?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

how many of you run these on your sps reefs? I am thinking it may help me with my bryosis especially while manualy removing the algae.

so what are the pro's and cons of running these on a reef? (sps)
also should it be on a timer or 24hrs a day? how many watts for a 300 gallon total volume system???
I look forward to some advice

Thanks...
Matt

I know that there has been huge debates over this subject ,but I have been running my coralife turbo twist 36 watt 24/7 on my largly populated sps tank for over a year with great results, I think it helps with water clarity by killing water born algae, and keeps the fish healthy from parasites.IMO

I know that there has been huge debates over this subject ,but I have been running my coralife turbo twist 36 watt 24/7 on my largly populated sps tank for over a year with great results, I think it helps with water clarity by killing water born algae, and keeps the fish healthy from parasites.IMO

They are not going to kill all of the "good" bacteria. They live in biofilms on and in every surface of your tank so running one will not ruin your biofilter.

Their major drawbacks are:

• The electricity bill.
  • The fact that only the things that pass through them are nuked. Anything that doesn't is not affected.
  • Their quartz sleeve has to be cleaned quite often for them to be effective.

I personally like them.

They are not going to kill all of the "good" bacteria. They live in biofilms on and in every surface of your tank so running one will not ruin your biofilter.

• The electricity bill.
  • The fact that only the things that pass through them are nuked. Anything that doesn't is not affected.

I personally like them.

I know that only what passes through them is nuked but every bit helps,
should it run 24-7? or on a timer?

Matt

• The electricity bill.

I personally like them.

Constant cleaning and the fact that the bulbs are very short lived are probably the biggest draw backs. If you dont clean them constantly and replace the bulbs your just pumping and lighting water.

Don

Constant cleaning and the fact that the bulbs are very short lived are probably the biggest draw backs. If you dont clean them constantly and replace the bulbs your just pumping and lighting water.

Don

Perhaps worse, the lower exposure only kills the weak. The strong survive to become stronger:lol::lol:

"That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Back