UV sterilizer/ yes/no?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

N1Husker

RF Staff
I have a 36 gallon tank w/ LR and live sand 4 fish, hermit crabs, 1 emerald crab and about 6 corals. I have some brown algae on the substrate and a little bit of hair algae. I was told that a UV sterilizer would kill the algae but also the good bacteria. I also heard they should be used on a fish only tank. Any thoughts? I need more info.

save your money for water changes, uv's have very few benefits and killing algae isn't one of them( unless it flies around the tank and goes through the uv )

+1 on ^above^ advice, better on FO/FOWLR and QT systems. The Diatom cycle will end soon enough, then look into a fuge or Phosphate reactor or both for continued algae/nutrient control.

Cheers, Todd

UVs need to be very large and high wattage to do anything substantially and that is primarily bacterial sterilization. The tubes can break inside and release electricity and heavy metals killing the system. If you absolutely need something besides water changes and need it now in lieu of allowing things to mature, else, get a better skimmer.

While I agree with both doesn't Mike get away with minimal water changes (IE never) because of very aggressive Ozone and UV filtration?

While I agree with both doesn't Mike get away with minimal water changes (IE never) because of very aggressive Ozone and UV filtration?

ozone is a whole other thing, the uv is kind of a conundrum, it kills bacteria and tiny creatures that pass through but really a reef is all about bacteria and the uv just does it like the Marines... let the big dude sort em out

Right I understand that Ozone is a different animal all together, but I am curious on why can Mojo get away with no water changes. According to him it is an aggressive pattern of UV, Ozone, Carbon and trace elements.

nahhh...he'll use bif words that will make me lose interest...or recommend a 986767 page article written by some EHD

For a better descripton and understand of what a UV sterilizer does, this sticky from Lee's forum might help:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/uv-u-me-37925/

I have an 80w UV sterilizier on my 375g tank and have no regrets. With the amount of fish I have, it does the job and haven't seen a hint of any algae in 3.5 yrs..But again, with this hobby there are many choices, and this choice works for me. :D

Not exactly..read the sticky I posted in post #11. It addresses that question

Doesnt a UV sterilizer help prevent stuff like Ick from spreading?
The link nc2wa posted is very good, IF an ich parasite were to pass through the uv unit and the watts and flow were correct it would get maimed or dead, problem is when ich drop off the fish they head for the sand or rock to try and catch a new ride, very few get anywhere near the uv unit

Back