UV sterilizer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattleycrue76

Aquajunkie
I am currently researching UV sterilizers and thought i'd ask your collective opinion. If you currently use one I'd like to know how it works for you and if you've noticed any differences since using it. If you've had experience with one and don't use one any more why not?

Also what size would you reccomend for a 72g tank and would the pond units work (cheaper) or do i need to go with a dedicated aquarium unit?

I use one on my 120, it came with the set up that I bought used. It's a turbo twist 9w. I can't compare it to not useing it, it's alway's been on the tank. It seem to work well, no alage on the glass or rocks. I don't think I would go and buy one since I don't think they are needed. Everything in my other tanks look great and I don't run any on thoughs.

I was thinking of taking it off and putting it on my fresh water tank instead, it's a 400g and I'm going to try it and see what happens.

I have one that I got when I bought my tank from a guy at work. I used to run it all the time and then the owner of the LFS said that it is an "Old School" idea to run UVs all the time because it will kill all beneficial bacteria. He said to only run when you introduce something new into the tank. I just turned mine on yesterday after a two month stint with it off. I had some brown algae on top of my sand so I turned it on just for SAGs.
Do you know anything about brown algae on top of #00 bahama oolite live sand?

UV sterizers are in no way going to harm a reef tank nor will they kill off your beneficial bacteria. They will however kill only what goes through them which isnt much. They require so much maintenance that most folks dont do. If you dont do the maintenance they will be useless real quick then your just flowing water. The bulbs are short lived and require constant replacing which again most folks dont do. I'd say save your money for something that will do more good like a better skimmer or even ozone if you so desire.

Don

Back