Vacation Lighting and Feeding?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefbobc

Hi all, I'm going to be camping this Thursday thru Sunday and am not sure what to do with my 2 reef tanks. I assume the fish (one in each tank) could probably go the entire time without eating if I feed them well before. As for lighting, would the corals suffer much not having light for that entire time? I don't think it would be good to have the lights on the whole time due to temp increase. I don't have timers at this point due to cost, although I know it would be a good idea. Any thoughts?

You can pick up cheap timers at Home Depot or Lowes for 5 or 6 bucks each for a temporary situation. IMO it's a very small investment for stability in the tanks. Give up a coffee or two while you are on your trip to pay for them :D Just kidding on the coffee thing but seriously it's not that much money. This is what we would do. As to the feeding we would not leave our fish for 4 days with no food. See if someone up in your area has a auto feeder you can borrow while your away.

Yeah, they'd 'probably' do ok without light for the time. But you could just get a cheap little individual plug-in timer for your lights and not have to worry about it. They also have auto feeders, you can put some pellets in it.
I got one for our camping trips this year. We are leaving on Sunday to camp for a week, and just got home 2 wks ago ago from another week long trip. Auto feeder with pellets and lights on a timer. The glass was dirty and there was a ton o poo in there, but everything was fine.

Hi all, I'm going to be camping this Thursday thru Sunday and am not sure what to do with my 2 reef tanks. I assume the fish (one in each tank) could probably go the entire time without eating if I feed them well before. As for lighting, would the corals suffer much not having light for that entire time? I don't think it would be good to have the lights on the whole time due to temp increase. I don't have timers at this point due to cost, although I know it would be a good idea. Any thoughts?

It goes dark in the ocean sometimes...but you definitely don't want to have them on the whole time. Not just for temperature but also for algae growth. I accidently did this once and I came back to find a large algae bloom.

Thanks, I'll go to check out the timers. I didn't realize they were that cheap. As far as the auto feeders go, I don't think I can afford them right now. Does any fellow reefer want to let me borrow one for a few days?

You can pick up cheap timers at Home Depot or Lowes for 5 or 6 bucks each for a temporary situation. IMO it's a very small investment for stability in the tanks. Give up a coffee or two while you are on your trip to pay for them :D Just kidding on the coffee thing but seriously it's not that much money. This is what we would do. As to the feeding we would not leave our fish for 4 days with no food. See if someone up in your area has a auto feeder you can borrow while your away.

You might want to consider a neighbor, friend, relative, stranger (Lol) come and feed the fish and turn on and off the lights.

I do know that the autofeeders using flake food are not a wise choice because once they exposed to the evaporation they get clogged with soggy food.

Put trust in someone is your best bet!

ReefJeff

autofeeder

I have an autofeeder thingy you can borrow, but you could buy one cheaper than the gas it will cost you to drive Lynwood to Federal Way round trip.

Ichthys

Your're probably right about that LOL! I'll try to find a friend tha can come over and feed. Thanks!

I have an autofeeder thingy you can borrow, but you could buy one cheaper than the gas it will cost you to drive Lynwood to Federal Way round trip.

Ichthys

I would be more concerned with the heat factor. It's suppost to get toasty in our area and many corals are lost due to temps above 82F. Or just blanch for 5 months. For food, depending on the fish you have it is another reason for a refugium set-up with a constant food supply and giving it a hair-cut with the clippings going to the display for the fishes to eat away. If you have a house/pet sitter, do have them monitor the emptying of the skimmate. They tend to overproduce durring unusual feeding regimen.

Back