Vertex Bio Pellets

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

capdippe

Hi all, I've been using the Vertex bio pellets for about 5 months now, and have had an issue with this yellow/brown build up in the sump (like small sand particles). I think it's from the bio pellets, as it's almost the same color. With in a weeks time the sump and all of it's componets will be covered with this dust. Any reffers have this issue?

Vertex Aquaristik > Products > Media > Probiotic > Pro-Bio Pellets

Hi all, I've been using the Vertex bio pellets for about 5 months now, and have had an issue with this yellow/brown build up in the sump (like small sand particles). I think it's from the bio pellets, as it's almost the same color. With in a weeks time the sump and all of it's componets will be covered with this dust. Any reffers have this issue?

Vertex Aquaristik > Products > Media > Probiotic > Pro-Bio Pellets

In have been using Vertex BPs for a long time and have had slime build up...but no dust. what I suspect is it's probably a result of the same process. I was able to get rid of it by adding more heterotrophic bacteria(MicroBacter7). It may be worth a shot to try. Whenever I see any biobuildup I usually add the "high nutrient" dose twice a week. This clears it up in a jiffy.

Other than that..."dust" sounds like detritus build-up. You should use a filter sock if you aren't already.

Yeah I'm using a 7" mesh filter sock on the drain, and thats it. I was thinking of putting a 4" felt on the BP outlet and see if that helps. I've been using the MicroBacter7 as well. I put about 4-5 drops a day in the sump. Do you have any cyano in your 100gallon?

Yeah I'm using a 7" mesh filter sock on the drain, and thats it. I was thinking of putting a 4" felt on the BP outlet and see if that helps. I've been using the MicroBacter7 as well. I put about 4-5 drops a day in the sump. Do you have any cyano in your 100gallon?

I have the reactor set up on my 65g, but yes I do have some cyano. This is completely normal and will soon go away, just be patient. I really wouldn't use a sock for the reactor. You want the good bacteria to flow through your tank and the sock will prevent some of that. Also you want the output to be near the output of the skimmer to oxygenate the water as much as possible.

Back