Very high PH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
I did a water quality test today its been a little over a month everything was ok except my PH that was like 8.8! and my KH was a little low at 125.3
Calcium was at 400
phosphate ammonia nitrite and nitrate were all at 0.
Any idea how i can lower the ph. and any ideas why its so high?

I would guess it is a bad test or test kit. If it stayed that way for a length of time things would not look good some would die.

Step 1 retest it. Step 2 go to someone or some store that has a test kit and have them test it as well.

:)

Paul

Alrighty. only thing is i have used this test kit for ever. its an API kit and i have never had an issue till today. but ill re test tomorrow and if its still high ill hit a shop. thanks paul

Yah, test kit or testing error as you will not see a pH that high at a KH of 125 ppm, 2.5 meq /l or 7 dKH. That is like 0.08 ppm CO2. Thatn is 4x less than NSW. You would need a giant degassing tower outside your house the size of a corn slio to get it that low and the pH that high:)

Yes, kalk is like +12 pH and does eat up CO2 but also adds Alk. If you used that much kalk it is possible. Of course I was just getting a little carried away with the corn silo analogy so to speak :)

Back