very hot weather

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mark peacock

marine67
How long can corals stand the temp of 28.7 and will turning my lights off after 5 hours effect my corals i.e. photo period today is a very hot day and my tank if very high in temp just turned my lights because do not want to over heat i am waiting for my chiller to turn up but what is the max i can go with the temp without having to turn my lights of and just leave atinics on.:|
mark

DEPENDS on what you have and how healthy you have... but my guess would be not to long... 28 thats close to 90 right
?

yikes, 90 degrees?! try freezing some 2 liter soda bottles and dumping them (float the bottle) in your tank to help cool it.

yikes, 90 degrees?! try freezing some 2 liter soda bottles and dumping them (float the bottle) in your tank to help cool it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=28.7C+in+F&btnG=Search

It's 83.66, nothing to worry about too much. You'll want to get the temp down, but my tanks hit higher than that this last month and had a recent move and everything seems fine so far (LPS tank). I am new at reef keeping so grab a grain or two of salt.

A large fan pointed directly at the surface of the water will cool it a ton if you need an emergency fix.

Don't worry about having the lights completely off for a day or two.
After all, there wasn't any light in the shipping box ...

A frozen bottle works for me.It will drop 2 or 3 degrees. But ahy is it so hot. Is your light to close or is the tank covered or do you have the tank by a window or on the upper floor?
A fuge or sump under the tank would help cool your tank. Some fans blowing across the top or some filter or pump thats producing to much heat or a combination.

lights

i have 2 400 watt MH i am just thinking about raising the hood how high should my hood be above the tank ,tank depth is around 18in currently sits about 8 inches from the top of the glass now do you think it should be around 10 to 12 inch

Wow , do you have any coral?
I would raise it to 12 inches and get it 1 week to see amount the temp drops and readjust from there.

hood

Yes i have a mixed reef quite a few corals so i am thinking ot raising the hood i do have 7 pc fans in there as well plus heat vents but i did place to new reflectors under the hod with the 2 400watts and just noticed that the bulb are about 4 or 5 inches above the water so that might be the reason:shock:

Just raise it and you should be fine. I would turn them off for a day or two then turn back on after they are raised and monitor temp and readjust the hiegth.

Back