Very Important! unknown anemone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

eliterecon14

Pajama Cardinal
Today I bought some new LR and on a piece I found a clam and a pair of these anemones. Anyone know what they are? They have a look like Bta's up close, the standard pacific colored stalk and the tentacles are white with a flourescent green/yellow color bright tip.

You sure? I took another look at them and the have clear tentacles and light green tips. It looks nothing like the ones I have seen in pictures. :/

Last edited:
No. I'm not sure. But I would bet $20 on it,
And I am not a gambling guy :)

Send me one, I will run a DNA test, and let you know the results.
Of course, the shipping alone will cost more than $20 and I will end up zapping it anyway.

(before people get their knickers in a twist, I am replying with a TOTALLY lighthearted intent)

Best,
D

How do you killem????
Do they hurt if you touch you also? I was stupid enough to touch one and it felt like a little static electricical shock then I couldn't feel it.

Last edited:
NOT majano anemones. Its not even an anemone at all. Its a pseudocorynactis corallimorph. I have a few in my tank, and have had them for over a year. You're fine with it. It wont spread like a pest anemone at all.

Do some research, look it up....

Guys, not every strange anemone is a pest and needs to be immediately destroyed. Try to find out some more information before rushing to advocate removal/destruction of something in a reeftank.....

:rolleyes:

Nick

Maxx, from what I know, pseudocorynactis corallimorph almost always have orange tips to their tentacles...not green. From the pic, it appears to me to be a majano. Maybe more pics would help.

Have you noticed it move at all? Majano are capable of quite a bit of movement. I don't mean movement like any other coral from flow...I mean it can move about your tank.

Even before I saw Nick's post, I was thinking along the same lines or possibly even a Dendrophyllia. It doesn't look like a majano to me.

Here's a nice top-down picture of a psuedocorynactis taken with a Macro lens.

photo by Kevin Riley aka Reefrunner

pseudocorynactis.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.projectdibs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1153

http://www.poppe-images.com/images/...y=anemones&species=Pseudocorynactis species 3

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/anemones/photoalbum_photo_view?b_start=7

The ones in my tank have whitish gray tips. But I've seen pics of them with all different colored tips. The last link has a picture of one with green tips. They are reported to have powerful nematocysts, and there a strong "sting".

More pics with better detail would definately help with IDing these anemones...which was my point in my last post. If you dont know for sure what something is, telling someone to nuke it immediately isnt necessarily the best course of action.

No one is infallible, I could very well be wrong in my ID of the anemone......but I'm willing to bet that it is a pseudocorynactis and not a majano.

My "anemones" look like the one in Curt's photo identical! I might have the ball anemone type. You know those red calcerous algae blobs that you can find all over on rock sometimes? My little anemones look like that when they are curled up, but translucent. The little guys haven't moved at all the past few days. I have been stupid enough to also put my finger in a Green Pacific Anemone, those big green pretty ones, so yeah....So now I can focus my attention to eradicating a single sole surviving cheato (bristleworm) I hate them, don't ask why.

Last edited:
I have quite a few of these living in my tank as well, especially in the return, and in my refrigum. I'm glad to know what they are now.

Back