VERY odd Chromis behaviour

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltyTemple

So a couple of years ago I was aquascaping and afterwards one of my full grown blue/green chromis got all sketchy - eyes bugging, frantic fins, breathing funny, and generally all mental - I thought that maybe I crushed him with a rock or something - but then the next day he died. I chalked it up to an ooops with my rock work and moved on.

SO, this past weekend I was working on my pumps and did very very minor aquascaping and one of the other Chromis (the same stock as two years ago) and one of the buggers came out when I got a large airfeedback from my pump (was pumping too much water with my newly cleaned Mag 24, anyhoo...) he swam into the bubble stream and then turned all sketchy, just like the last one.

So last night and this morning, he was doing the same thing as the first fish, eyes buggy, jerky swimming, kinda like he's in shock. Now he's displaying some external wear as well (I think maybe some of the other fish were telling him to knock it off...)

What the heck!? I fully expect him to die at some point today if the last one was any indication. (too bad though, he's a couple of years old at least!)

Shauna

I wouldn't have a clue! I can only assume that it is a result of air getting into the gills.

that's really odd...it kinda sounds like the reaction some chromis have when they are shipped. I've seen them just after they're added to a store's tank and you'll see one or two do what you're describing (they usually die)

He's still alive, but still acting very sketchy - it looks like shock - I hope he comes out of it, but I'm really grateful that it's not my Tomini (the little cutie in my avtar, he's been around for 3+ years)

Back