Via Aqua 750...how to boost pump pressure?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cwrenge

hi to you all out here at R Frontiers... i have a Via Aqua 750 on my 55 reef....had it for about 2 years running....it seems to me that its not putting out much...? theres no obstructions.... i would like to boost up the flow rate...i am thinking of connecting a pump in line with the suction side of this filter... just not sure what size ( gal per hr. ) pump to use... with-out causing any back pressure in the canister filter.... any ideas would be appreciated, cw.

Doesnt the via-aqua just draw in as much as it pumps out? I would think that adding a supply pump may cause seal failure, and all sorts of problems. Have you tried a new impeller? I am sure you know that the windings on pump motors can fail over time, that may be your issue. If so it is probley cheaper to get a new filter. Is this on a reef tank or a fowlr or a F.Only tank?

thanks for the reply Wrightme43....as far as the empeller... i dont see any thing abnormal with it ..? and yes it's possible the windings are failing...! so that question leaves me to adding a pump in line (before the cannister ) i would remove the empeller .... so getting a rated pump to do this is my objective before i go a new filter...... theres no loss in trying... i was inquireing if any one heard of trying this method.... and had the sane thoughts as you ..... ( " Seek... n Ye Shall Find " ) again thanks, by the way you have a great set-up from i read. cw. :)

Oh ok, well probley a 350 gph rated pump would be fine. Thats pretty standard flow as far as I know for canister filters. What is the plan? Just to hang the powerhead in the tank and let it pump down thru the filter and back up into the tank? Or do you have another plan up your sleeve? LOL

Back