ViaAqua In-Sump Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nikbishop

the ViaAqua In-Sump Skimmer SK200. Does anyone have one, are they any good.what is a good skimmer thats under a hundred.

Last edited:
Welcome to RF. :)

Under $100 is a little tough. What size tank do you have? The Octopus 110 and the ASM Baby-G are just over $100 and are good up to 150/75 gal tanks, I think. You can get them here AE. If you have a really small tank (nano) I believe the Aqua C Remora is pretty popular around here.

Skimerwisperer is the resident protein skimmer expert, he should have the perfect solution for your set-up. Of course, tank size and bio-load will need to be answered first. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply,i haven't set the tank up yet im tring to get the peices i need but it's going to be a 5.5. but i dont want to spend a ton on it yet,the reason i asked about the ViaAqua In-Sump Skimmer SK200 is because i found it for $55

Welcome to RF!! Hope you enjoy it here!:) As for a skimmer under $100, can't say that I know of any...The ones Brett (Meche) suggested are great ones a little over $100 and worth the extra few dollars. I run an AquaC nano skimmer on my 24gal Aquapod and it skimms great! As for the ViaAqua, can't say I've ever heard anything about them before. Hopefully someone like Mark (skimmerwhisperer) will chime in. Good luck!:)

well, those via aqua skimmers are o.k. but just o.k......:doubt:
if you could somehow manage to pony up to $130 then you could get the
octopus needle wheel 150, probably the cheapest "good" skimmer around, short of a used skimmer.
what size tank are we trying to skim?

Thanks for your reply,i haven't set the tank up yet im tring to get the peices i need but it's going to be a 5.5. but i dont want to spend a ton on it yet,the reason i asked about the ViaAqua In-Sump Skimmer SK200 is because i found it for $55

If I'm understanding this correctly... the tank you will be setting up is going to hold 5.5gallons of water... correct? That being the case, this ViaAqua skimmer will work more than good enough. Just be aware, you will require a SUMP for that skimmer to sit in.

If you wern't planning on running a sump with such a small tank, something like the below link would also work nicely on a tank that size, yet be very reasonable in price;

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=245

I appreciate all the replys and suggestions. It is a 5.5 gal. reef tank and there will be a sump. Now that I know what I should be looking for as far as protein skimmers, I have one more question. I don't have an overflow box, so I was thinking about using a Fluval 104 w/ the surface skimmer and having the return from the Fluval going into the sump, is this a good idea or a bad one? Or should I just get an overflow box? Suggestions and links would be appreciated.

Be careful using one pump to get water into something, and another to get water back out of it again. Matching the flow rate of those two pumps can be... a headache at best... and a flood waiting to happen at worst.

I haven't ever had a nano with a sump, so unfortunately don't have any experience for you with the best way to run... but I would guess an Overflow box would be your best bet.

Be careful using one pump to get water into something, and another to get water back out of it again. Matching the flow rate of those two pumps can be... a headache at best... and a flood waiting to happen at worst.

I haven't ever had a nano with a sump, so unfortunately don't have any experience for you with the best way to run... but I would guess an Overflow box would be your best bet.

I agree with Ed...Using 2 different pumps is only a disaster waiting to happen. All it takes if for one pump to break down or slow up some (from maybe a build up of food on it) and you've got trouble. An overflow will be your best bet IMO or if it is an option, put the sump above the tank, pump water from the tank into the sump, and then let it gravity drain back in. Not many people like to do it that way because it is kinda ugly:p but just though I'd throw out a few suggestions. In any event, where an overflow is concerned as well as space, I'd go with this http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...D&Product_Code=CS50&Category_Code=CPROverflow The CPR overflow takes up the least amount of space in your tank. Basically, the whole overflow sits outside the tank and only a small section sits inthe tank for water to pass through.

Here are a few pictures of a CPR overflow I once had on a 75gal tank. HTH:)

I use the bigger model sk388. I works pretty well, but foam pad needs to be cleaned a bit more than I like. I just bought a second one on sale at HelloLights for $68. Dave O2ManyFish had recommended them at a meeting on skimmers.

Jon

I was thinking about using a Fluval 104 w/ the surface skimmer and having the return from the Fluval going into the sump, is this a good idea or a bad one?

This would be akin to juggling lit sticks of dynamite.

I appreciate all the replys and suggestions. It is a 5.5 gal. reef tank and there will be a sump. Now that I know what I should be looking for as far as protein skimmers, I have one more question. I don't have an overflow box, so I was thinking about using a Fluval 104 w/ the surface skimmer and having the return from the Fluval going into the sump, is this a good idea or a bad one? Or should I just get an overflow box? Suggestions and links would be appreciated.

i hope you mean a 55g tank and not a 5.5 gal. like it says here.....
and yes, do yourself a favor and get an overflow, theres nothing else you wanna mess with:)
well if your going to go to the trouble of getting an overflow box and a sump, then i definately think you should go with the octopus nw 150, you can fit it in an old 10g tank for a sump to save money.

if it is in fact a 5.5 gal nano tank then omit all this headache and just buy a cpr bakpac or aqua c remora:D

Instead of upgrading every few years like most people do, just get this one. I promise you it'll be the last skimmer you ever buy. (i'm joking, but in reality, i'm kind of serious)

IMAC%202006-24.jpg

Is that 5 elhem recirculators?! :eek:

If a lot is good and more is better, then too much is just enough!

Back