ViaAqua sk200 skimmer placement

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

viper357

Hi all

In-Sump-Skimmer.jpg

I have the sk200 in sump skimmer, but I am having a lot of problems with micro bubbles exiting the skimmer into the sump.

Does anybody have any experience with how this skimmer must be placed in the sump, particularly the water level. I'm not sure if the water level (not inside the skimmer) must be high or low, i.e. must the skimmer sit quite high out of the water ?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I'm betting the water level is supposed to rise to the top of the wide part in the bottom half, and there should be foam above that. You can solve your microbubbles problem by putting a hose on the outflow and routing it back to your sump inflow chamber. You can gain enough room for a refugium in your sump by mounting this skimmer on eggcrate above the middle chamber of your sump, and letting it share that platform with a light, if you have enough top clearance. I'm guessing that it will not like to be submerged deeper than the bottom 'wide part' that begins the bottommost cylinder, so you will have to put it on risers, and that it is amenable to being mounted above the water line entirely.

Back