Video of Shark vs. Octopus at Seattle Aquarium!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Many have probably already seen this...but how about one of the deadliest animals in the ocean vs a Mantis shrimp??

http://www.reefcentral.com/vid/bluering

Bluerings are VERY expensive correct? Was the owner thinking the bluering would kill the mantis or what. Considering the bluering was a baby I don't think it had a chance. Glad to see someone wasted alot of money and killed an octopus, but that's ok they still have a worthless mantis.

I should have said more about the vid as it does seem like senseless violence.

A peacock mantis can be bitten and ingest the poison glands of the blue ring and survive, they are tolerant to the posion. This video was taken ina s eries of tests in an effort to discover how and possibly create a neurotoxin that may be helpful to save peoples lives. This video was shot by researchers at Berkeley as i understand it.

And thats NOT a baby bluering...its an adult

That was an awesome video!! Octopus are very strong and faster than we give'em credit for...smile. While in Alaska, I would get live Octopus from the Boats and bring them home in a rubbermaid container. My wife and I would put them in the bathtub where we would do battle as even with my wife and I we were "out-armed" and they would attached to the walls, the sliding windows, our legs, etc.....We were just fortunate that we never got nailed by their beak...smile!!

Bob

Okay never mind i just looked these things up and that blue ring octopus is deadly! If you touch you could seriously die. Thats F'd up!

While in Alaska, I would get live Octopus from the Boats and bring them home in a rubbermaid container. My wife and I would put them in the bathtub where we would do battle as even with my wife and I we were "out-armed" and they would attached to the walls, the sliding windows, our legs, etc.....We were just fortunate that we never got nailed by their beak...smile!!

Why would you do this? Did you get the Octopus in order to eat them, or what?

Live octopus + wife + bathtub

Sounds kinda kinky :D

hidesbehindsofa.gif

Last edited:
Yes, the reason for bringing a 40+ lb Octopus home was to cut it up and eat it. I would guess that may be why it gave us such a hard time because my job was to try and control the octopus while my wife would cut it's arms off. I kinda' see how this sounds barbaric but the darned things taste sooooo good it is worth the battle....smile. Just made about 40lbs of Ceviche last night using Octopus, Scallops, Halibut, Shrimp and a variety of Bell Peppers, Jalepeno's, Habaneros and other colorful peppers....pretty darned good!!

Bad Bob....smile

Yes, the reason for bringing a 40+ lb Octopus home was to cut it up and eat it. I would guess that may be why it gave us such a hard time because my job was to try and control the octopus while my wife would cut it's arms off. I kinda' see how this sounds barbaric but the darned things taste sooooo good it is worth the battle....smile. Just made about 40lbs of Ceviche last night using Octopus, Scallops, Halibut, Shrimp and a variety of Bell Peppers, Jalepeno's, Habaneros and other colorful peppers....pretty darned good!!

Bad Bob....smile

sounds gross and funny at the same time :D :p.

Back