Viet Nam Vets

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

I don't know if there are any other Nam Vets here besides me but I just received a letter of another Vet from that era that died from causes that could be attributed to Agent Orange.
My first Captain from there also just died in his fiftees from this cancer.
It seems that III Corps was the heaviest sprayed, I built and lived on 14 LZs and they were all in III Corps.
As soon as I can I am going to schedule a CT scan. All Vets that were in Nam should get tested. They stopped spraying in 1971 but even if you were there later, the stuff stays around forever.
Here is the letter I just received along with a map which I don't know how to put here.

I am asking all Vietnam Veterans to talk to their doctors about getting a CT scan to check for this potentially dangerous life threatening disease. Being asymptomatic, most people will not show any signs of being ill however, about 40% of the cancer patients had some pain in their lower back on either their left or right side, just over the kidney. If the belt that you are wearing is hurting your back have your doctor order a CT scan for you immediately.

Renal Cancer is one of the health problems that the VA has listed as "Inadequate/Insufficient Evidence to Determine Whether an Association Exists" for Agent Orange.

The Government paid for a 20 year study (Operation Ranch Hand) and now some experts are saying this study was seriously flawed from the beginning. I am not an expert on this subject but you can check it out on the internet and make your own informed opinion. I just wonder why they didn't study any infantry units in III Corps. Infantry soldiers did not change their clothes every day or take a daily shower. It would be weeks before they would get a change of clothes and a month for a shower. III Corps was the heaviest sprayed area in Vietnam, especially in 1969. Agent Orange II (Super Orange which had double the dioxin) was used in 1968 and1969 in South Vietnam.

Below is a map illustrating the heaviest areas sprayed in Vietnam by the United States Air Force. The color orange represents the heaviest concentrations. The map is not drawn to scale, but is to give a person a general understanding where the heaviest spraying took place. This map does not indicate areas that were sprayed by helicopters or by other means of distributing Agent Orange and other chemical defoliants .

I work for the VA as a rater on figuring out disabilitys. And I swear that there is something new coming out every week on what can be claimed and what can't. I do have to say that they are now letting you claim a lot more that you could. Im just waiting for what they have to say for all of the Iraq vets. With the open pit burning and strange things that are over there. I know myself I came home with all sorts of strange problems now. Oh well maybe 40 years from now they might have a idea. But all I can say is get tested for anything and everything you can.

Back