Vinegar + Water to clean Pumps?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sorry i didnt get back to ya smiley but My answer is
about the same as suckerfish's i use the pour / ya that
should be enough method LOL

I just pour a bottle of vinegar into a bucket and let my pumps sit in there while I clean the glass, change media and sandbed. Maybe after about an hour or so I pull them pumps and powerheads out of the vinegar and rinse clean.

Vinegar cleans off coraline really nicely too.

Vinegar is cheap...why worry about ratios...dont do math just drowned it and rinse it off))) I'm sure it doesn't take a 100 percent ratio to kill stuff but why sweat the numbers...go 100 and dont worry about it.

I don't dilute it.
as said above just pour it in a bucket and drop the pump in, sometimes overnight.

White Vinegar is cheap. Use lots!! I typically don't dilute it either, if cleaning a pump, power head or other small equipment, and let it sit in a bucket overnight. If I'm cleaning a tank, I pour in a gallon of vinegar, fill the tank up with water, and let it sit for a couple days.

when i clean my pump i put them in a bucket with a whole jug of vinegar and top of with water then i let the pumps run in the bucket. for a hour or so

When cleaning out my Artica chiller, the chiller's website recommended a 3 to 1 ratio of water to vinegar.

http://www.jbjlighting.com/pdfs/Arctica_troubleshooting.pdf

I agree with the other posts about going 100% for pumps that you can submerge, but with the chiller I don't know if maybe it's harder to rinse out, or if you need more liquid to maintain a consistent volume running through the system?

Back