Visitng Barbie.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I just wanted to let you know I saw the some gorgeous freshwater tanks Saturday October 22nd also. A few of us were given a private tour from a very knowledgeable person on raising rare plecos, rainbowfish, synadontis, Wild caught Frontosas, help me here now please with this word, other rare cichlids(?, never can spell that word right). It was nice to learn how they are raised. My favorite is the Zebra Pleco. I have had a few of these. I was never able to get as far as Barbie has. She has it down to a art when it comes to raising fresh water fish. I have to admit I have never witnessed such nice fresh water aquariums in my life.
thank you Barbie for the lesson.
sincerely
Ed

Ahhh, what a sweet thing to say! Thanks Ed! I wish I had it down to an art form! Quite a few of my reefie friends tell me my freshwater gallons just don't count. They tend to amend that statement when they actually come to the house, hehe. I can't decide if it's a lack of focus (needing all these different types of fish, with differing needs and requirements), or just my own personal OCD some days ;). I truly am addicted to most things fish related. I used to have 18 quarter horses, but my allergies finally convinced me that I should play more indoor sports, so here I am, I guess :lol: . It was nice having you guys over! Definitely bring the wife for a visit to the planted tank ;).

Did I mention I've been known to be highly contagious? :badgrin:

Barbie

Barbie,
I was definitely fascinated in the rearing of your cichlids. The one type of cichlid you had, the one with the synadontis cats. I am hoping to learn more how the cichlid scoops the synadontis babies inside its mouth and how you prevent or seperate this again without hurting either family. That was very educational tour.
thanks again,
Ed

I've heard her fw are very nice... but there again... I don't believe till I see... :p :D

*ducks*

can't wait to see your tanks barbie...

-Josh-

The Synodontis multipunctatus have developed specialized spawning behavior. They can, and will scatter eggs if there are no hosts available, but they prefer to make their spawning passes while the cichlids are in the process of spawning. While the mouthbrooding female is trying desperately to pick up her eggs before the catfish can get them, they drop their own eggs to be picked up. Their eggs hatch within a day, and then the new fry begin to feed on the yolk sacs of the cichlid fry that are also in her mouth. If I wait too long to strip the cichilds, I get one big fat catfish that's eaten everyone else in there ;).

Anyone that wants a tour, just yell when you're in town ;). The reef tanks aren't much to look at yet, but someday they're going to grow up and be somebunny ;).

Barbie

Barbie,
I just wanted to share that we had a expert in the Freshwater Hobby amoungst us. Anyone that has done freshwater knows the fish you are doing are quite a challenge and are hard to get, long enough successfully breed in captivity. Your Reef Tanks are pretty nice too...;)

Back