Vodka dosing to reduce nitrates..yay..or nay?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tuku4u

I recently set up a 46 gal bowfront tank (upgraded from 29gal) and finally have everything setup how I wanted, flow going pretty well, and sump and refugium seem to be working great! Other then the fact that I have had a huge outbreak of brown algae. I've done a couple 10% water changes in the past week, but it doesn't seem to be letting up. I'm assuming my nitrates may be a little high, just haven't had the chance to test them this week. I, of course, will test them tonight before doing anything "drastic", but while being "constructive" at work today, I have been researching ways to lower nitrates and "VODKA DOSING" came up. Seems like something that could do lots of harm if not careful, and wondering what other's thoughts were on this. If anyone has actually done it. And what kind of success..or fail/kill rate one may expect with corals, or fish? Thanks for the info everyone!!

Will

personaly id get a reactor and bio pellets.also sound a lil like new tank syndrome. got a clean up crew? if so what

Yeah thats kind of what it seems like at the moment, which is why I haven't done anything but water changes to try and keep it at a minimal. Clean up crew is:

2x peppermint shrimp
4x bumble bee snails
8x astraea snails
5x nassarius snails
2x zebra turbo snails
6x blue legged hermits
1x cleaner shrimp
1x emerald crab

cerrith will sift the sand and eat the brown ald try some stars brittle and sand sifting

I take care of a 1000 gallon tank with a huge bio load. The eel alone is over three feet. My nitrates were between 40 and 50 before the vodka not there 0.

but you also need to consider this.... the vodka method works, but you have to stay on top of it. plus the chance of over dosing is very high. the best thing to do is figure out why your nitrates are high and resolve the issue. and the "new tank syndrom" for the brown algae sounds pretty accourate also. just my opinion :)

I don't know about Vodka dosing. I have hearb both ways.

You said you recently upgraded. Did you move your sand bed over as well. If so you might have released a fair amount of nutrients during the switch. You also might be going through a cycle from the move. IME I would see if this is the problem before you start a new dosing regiment.

Plus always test everything. I won't dose anything I cant test for. And test kits are expecive so I don't dose much :)

Good luck with the algea battle

When I switched tanks I used new all new sand. I also used as much of the same water from the 29gal as possible. I've had the 46gal set up for about 3 weeks now, but just recently had the massive algae bloom. I did just test nitrates and they're pretty high, right around 40. I'm pretty careful about overfeeding, and try to keep my lights on only for about 8-10 hours a day. I'm kind of wondering about the salt mix that I'm using. I've always used Instant Ocean, but now I'm using Kent Reef Salt mix. Could this be part of the problem? I'm starting to think it could just be new tank syndrome like you guys are suggesting, and that I should just keep on my water changes until it balances out. Vodka dosing just seemed like such a quick way to lower the nitrates.

i dose with success but i would suggest going to Melv's reef and read the how to and write up before you decide. best approach slow and record till you find the sweet spot for your tank.

is there anyway of figuring out how much to does? Does it depend on the amount of nitrates in the system is, does anyone have a formula?:painkiller:

tuku4u,

IME/O, vodka dosing should only be used by an experienced reefer...you can crash you tank quickly if you do not know what u r doing...personally, with a 46g bow, i would not use vodka dosing..there are more options to choose from that are less risker than vodka dosing...personally large water changes over several weeks/months should correct the problem..but if it is a new tank, then this is expected..

Thanks everyone for the advice, it is much appreciatated. I think I will just stick to water changes until everything levels out, I tend to like the "better safe then sorry" way of doing things.:) I am pretty new to this hobby, so I will stick to what I know. Thanks again!!

Will

Sounds like diatoms from a new tank set up being only 3 weeks since the move. I realize you used the same water but it doesn't really carry all that much bacteria. The best thing to do is leave it be. Quit stressing over it and changing this and changing that to try and get rid of it. Diatoms will go away on their own once the system balances itself out. Its all part of the algae/bacteria cycle every new tank goes through. Continually changing things will only prolong the issue. Leave it be and let it balance. Maybe try reading the article on the home page called "The Moron Cycle". It well explain a lot for you if you dont know.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

actually going to go and read that right now Eww..thanks for the suggestion. I will leave it be then, and hope for the best. Thanks again everyone for the great info!

Back