vodka dosing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well I decided to also give this a try. I tested my n and p and both were low at 5 ppm and 0.3 ppm respectively. Started with just over 0.1 ml of vodka. I'm also dosing Elos aa's to help a bit with coral coloration. I'll post my results after a week or so.

It's funny that this thread is going on right now. I just last week decided to dose sugar in the 300 gallon coral display tank at the shop. When I started the store I used tap water and the topping up for that first year eventually brought the nitrates up above 10. I've never had nitrates at home, but with needing to feed the new fish so heavily even the 50 gallon water changes a week aren't bringing it down. Knowing I have an aggressive skimmer, I decided to try it. I did get some clouding the first day, but within 5 days of dosing, the nitrates are barely reading already. This system has a mature fuge and a maintenance schedule that should be able to keep up with the nutrient levels, if I can just get them back down to close to 0 like I'm used to.

By the 3rd day, coral polyp extension was looking good and the skimmate was quite nasty. I have high hopes. I'll update you by the end of next week with my results ;).

Barbie

ok... my skimmer kicked in a bit ago so i started dosing. i have a 150 display with a ~50~ gallon sump. i decided to play it safe and est. my total water volume at 150 gallons.
so i am dosing .1mL per 25 gallons of water. this was three day ago and tonight i doubled the dose to 1.2mL and will keep it there till day 7. after that i will raise the dose .5mL every week there after till my trates start to decline.
my trates have been a steady 20.
i will test again tomorrow and every night till my trates begin to decrease. as they decrease i will keep the dose the same till they are undetectable at which time i will cut the dose in half which will be my maitnence dose. any questions???

Last edited:
ok... my skimmer kicked in a bit ago so i started dosing. i have a 150 display with a ~50~ gallon sump. i decided to play it safe and est. my total water volume at 150 gallons.
so i am dosing .1mL per 25 gallons of water. this was three day ago and tonight i doubled the dose to 1.2mL and will keep it there till day 7. after that i will raise the dose .5mL every week there after till my trates start to decline.
my trates have been a steady 20.
i will test again tomorrow and every night till my trates begin to decrease. as they decrease i will keep the dose the same till they are undetectable at which time i will cut the dose in half which will be my maitnence dose. any questions???

I have been reading the post and it seem to ended. Can you give me a summary of what happen with your experiment?

Back