Vodka Dosing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Coral Frenzy

RF Sponsor
I set up a new small 25 gallon Ecoxotic LED tank 2 weeks ago. I put in dry rock that I cured for about 6 weeks in a well established system. It will be a totally mixed reef, to say the least. I am a firm believer in using ozone and have been doing it on every system I have had since I started using it. Yes, I will be posting a build thread in a week or so. :)

I am thinking about dosing vodka in this system. I was wondering if any of you who are doing this are using ozone, too?

The other thing is that I am a little concerned about doing it in a system that is this small.

Vodka doses best in a 1.5oz gl*** while ice cold. Three or four of them administered along with a few beers seems to be the proper dosage.

^^I knew that was coming. :)

I can tell you if I do this and I lose some of the corals that I plan on putting in there then I will definitely be doing that. :)

I think systems require more vodka when they are lonely or depressed!:lol:

Sorry, I just had to say it. Actually I know nothing about using vodka. What's it do? Pros and cons? Somebody with some better knowledge should chime in I would hope.

There is no issue with o3 and a carbon food source. The o3 will kill off any bacteria in the water that goes throuth the reactor or skimmer, which ever way your feed o3. I dont think its going to cause any issues other than the fact it may be a bit tougher to keep orp up as high as you want. Carbon dosing usually causes a drop in orp. With a tiny tank you just need to be more careful.

Don

Will anyone explain what the benefits are of vodka dosing in depth. I have no idea what it does or why people do it. Or at least give me a reference where i can read about it. Thanks

Will anyone explain what the benefits are of vodka dosing in depth. I have no idea what it does or why people do it. Or at least give me a reference where i can read about it. Thanks

This is probably the best article that I know of that talks about it.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

I have seen the results in person, I just don't know how feasable it is on such a small system as the one I want to use it on.

I'm going to be using ozone on the tank so I should be able to keep up the ORP within range.

I don't know a whole lot about the skimmer other than it is doing a pretty good job for only being on the tank for 2 weeks.

It's not something I'd recommend unless you've done A LOT of reading on it, and totally understand the reasoning behind it, AND totally understand the risks. It requires lots of maintenance and testing, to be done properly and safely.

Basically, Vodka is used, as a carbon source, to feed bacteria, in our tanks. This bacteria helps with denitrification. For tanks with moderate nitrate levels, it is a way to reduce those nitrates. It also, if done right, allows us to feed our tanks more, without detrimental effects to our tanks.

Other methods include dosing with sugar or vinegar. Another method involves dosing both Vodka and Vinegar.

However, there are draw backs, that one needs to be aware of, and know to watch for. It can lead to Bacterial Blooms, Cyano Blooms (Cyano is a bacteria), lower oxygenation of the water, even tank crashes.

Having a very good skimmer is almost required.

Do people who carbon dose also run phosphate removers? I run GFO and read 0 phosphates but have a small level of nitrates and have been considering it.

Back