Vodka

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
I dont drink and know nothing about booze. Is all vodka the same or is there one or many that should be avoided. I used a jug that another reefer gave me for a long time but the label is gone and need more.

Thanks
Don

I think vodka is pretty much vodka for our purposes Donw. Standard proof. Just don't get the flavored stuff and you're fine. The only reason I've ever used higher end vodka is because we didn't have any cheap stuff in the cabinet and I didn't want to make a special trip for a bottle.

I think vodka is pretty much vodka for our purposes Donw. Standard proof. Just don't get the flavored stuff and you're fine. The only reason I've ever used higher end vodka is because we didn't have any cheap stuff in the cabinet and I didn't want to make a special trip for a bottle.

Thanks, now I just need to find a booze store.

Don

There are higher proof vodkas, but other than that, I believe Vodka is Vodka...lol. Dosing vodka is something I need to do more research on. Any links you could suggest?

I dont think there is a tried and true method layed out. It something you just have to try and learn how to do based on standard testing and lots of observation. Its real easy to nuke your tank so you have to be real careful.

Don

Yeah, I've read a bit about it...both good and from those who have nuked their tanks. It's definitely something I'd want to research A LOT before attempting.

I've been following vodka dosing for a while, and I've seen way more success stories than horror stories. However, it is a method that you want to do you due diligence on.

Almost all alcohol bottles are signature in one way or another. They have little engraved inscriptions and engraved pictures that distinguish one from another. Just take the bottle to the store and you will find the one you have easily.

I've never dosed Vodka, but I would get something around 100 proof and I would never get anything below 80.

Good luck

I've been following vodka dosing for a while, and I've seen way more success stories than horror stories. However, it is a method that you want to do you due diligence on.

Its not selective bacterial feeding. You have no control over the symbiotic bacteria growth so jumping in with both feet can easily kill every coral in your tank. Alot of folks try carbon dosing as a patch fix and cause even more problems. There is a time and place for it IMO although I use it I dont openly recommend it.

Don

I agree DonW. You don't get to choose what kind of bacteria you're growing (and you really don't have much influence on it even when using a proprietary system IMO). I had great success with VSV last year through early fall this year until I moved to my new tank. The new tank is currently going through some growing pains (STN). I don't know what is causing the STN at the moment and don't want to risk driving the growth of additional bacteria should bacteria be the cause. I've stopped dosing VSV for the time being and won't be starting again until everything looks healthy again. I do not recommend dosing a carbon souce unless 1) homework has been done and 2) all of the fish and corals already appear healthy.

Back