vortech pump opinions...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dailydriven911

sps addict
Just ordered the vortech mp20 version and was wondering who is using them and how they like them. I've heard great things about them but some people say they are somewhat loud. I'll probably only be running mine around 50-60 percent. How does everybody like theirs? How is the flow? I've seen videos but want to know more info. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jayson

You may want to have a chat with Jonathan (jnarowe) about these pumps :D

He has 6 of the MP40's

Good luck by the way :)

blazer 88 has some and loves them im tagging along to see what people say. i think they are pretty spendy

I got a mp40 on my tank, I really enjoy the fact that you can make your own wave settings and have it make randomized speed flow without extra effort, and the ability that it can communicate with other pumps is a real nice feature..... perhaps imo the best thing ( for me ) about this pump is the fact that its battery backed up for almost 30 hours... which helps alot when power goes out ( sets my mind at ease ) also the fact that the motor is on the outside of the water is a huge bonus.

I have two MP40's on my tank and I love 'em. I could hear them for the first few weeks but any sound went away as they broke in. I run them at about 70% and I can't hear them at all. The random flow (or the wave they can make) is awesome, no added heat to the tank, and the battery backup is great. Thumbs up from me.

Well... I wouldn't say that everyone is happy :)

I know quite a few people who aren't happy with the Vortech pumps at all.

I had one for quite a while. The idea behind them is great. And the customer service is great as well. BUT, I ended up selling mine due to the fact that I was having a lot of problems with it. Mine was noisy and had issues with the two halves separating. I had mine for several months and during the time I owned it, I sent it back a few times for repair. If they can get some of the flaws worked out on the pumps, it will be a fantastic piece of equipment.

Did you have the original version? I heard the newer versions are much better and quieter.

I had one for quite a while. The idea behind them is great. And the customer service is great as well. BUT, I ended up selling mine due to the fact that I was having a lot of problems with it. Mine was noisy and had issues with the two halves separating. I had mine for several months and during the time I owned it, I sent it back a few times for repair. If they can get some of the flaws worked out on the pumps, it will be a fantastic piece of equipment.

Did you have the original version? I heard the newer versions are much better and quieter.

I had the original. The motor was replaced one of the times it was sent in for repairs. I just got tired of messing with it.

If they have improved on some of the flaws it may be better now.

I had the original. The motor was replaced one of the times it was sent in for repairs. I just got tired of messing with it.

If they have improved on some of the flaws it may be better now.

Unfortunately the gen 2 aren't any better.
Same issue with the magnets becoming separated after some time.

old version

I had mine 2 years just added the upgrade driver that has all the different flows you can program,they are expensive.I built a brace under the outside section to protect it if it became seperated,it came w/a velcrow strap for this purpose kind of cheesey i think for the bucks.it's not loud at you do pick up some vibration at bearing change time. (have 2 need more)overall i like.

Do you have first hand experience with this or are you just repeating what is posted in other threads? I mean no disrespect, but i have read a lot of posts where people are grumbling about things that are the result of them not reading the instructions and following them. I know of several people that are using the new pumps without any issue whatsoever.

I have had mine(mp40) for just over a year with no problems what so ever. I love it!

No I do not personally own these pumps but I have many friends who do. Some of these friends have been running and testing these in their systems for longer than most people even knew the pumps existed. I don't need to go out and buy a pump to prove to myself that it's a poorly designed product when I can see first hand the problems. Give it some time, you will see more people grumbling about rusting magnets or the 2 halves separating. Some people don't even have their pumps for that long before they need to send back for servicing.

Fair enough dhnguyen. I also think it is fair to say people who have problems are more vocal than those that are happy....especially in forums. The other thing that I would add to your comment is that the 1st gen pumps are known to have problems. This is well documented and that is the risk people take when buying a first of product...you're beta testing. The second gen pumps resolved the vast majority of these problems. Are they perfect....nope. But I have had many pumps over the years that have problems....even the covetted maxijet has given me problems.

Thanks for posting back and taking the comment correctly and not as a personal attack. I appreciate the comments and I think it is of value to people looking into these pumps to get all of the opinions and experiences.

Thank you for your insight everyone! I'm looking forward to updating this thread with my own opinions once I receive it this week sometime!:)

Back