vortech pump opinions...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am a fan. The great customer service makes up for any issues. Also really like the fact that I don't have a wire running up the side of my tank.

I have had the gen 2 MP20 for about two months now and I think it's a great pump. I have nothing to compare it to, but I can say that I have no noise issues (my protein skimmer is louder). I have no issues with the motor separating. I have it as the only pump in my 45 gallon tank (see this thread: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38009 I've got some pictures of it there). It provides great strong flow. I love the feed mode which drops down the pump speed for 10 minutes. I can put it in night mode, I don't use that though, but I do use the reef crest mode which creates a strong random flow. Love my MP20!

I have had the gen 2 MP20 for about two months now and I think it's a great pump. I have nothing to compare it to, but I can say that I have no noise issues (my protein skimmer is louder). I have no issues with the motor separating. I have it as the only pump in my 45 gallon tank (see this thread: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38009 I've got some pictures of it there). It provides great strong flow. I love the feed mode which drops down the pump speed for 10 minutes. I can put it in night mode, I don't use that though, but I do use the reef crest mode which creates a strong random flow. Love my MP20!

Good to hear! Thanks for the review I can't wait to try mine out!:)

Thanks!

I am a fan. The great customer service makes up for any issues. Also really like the fact that I don't have a wire running up the side of my tank.

Hmmm your first post and it just happen to be about the Vortech.
Why is that? :doubt:

Ecotech must have lots of shills out there.

I have three of the pumps on my 90. I've had my share of troubles out of them too. My only complaint now (magnets, screws and nuts all upgraded so nothing to rust) is the noise they make. I still use them because I don't want cords in the tank so I guess I pick my poison.

I have three of the pumps on my 90. I've had my share of troubles out of them too. My only complaint now (magnets, screws and nuts all upgraded so nothing to rust) is the noise they make. I still use them because I don't want cords in the tank so I guess I pick my poison.

Wow you must have quite a lot of flow in that tank!

here's my two cents
i have the tunze 6100 single controllable and the mp40w ver2 ecotech. each one on opposite sides. the 6100 tunze is more powerful than the ecotech as in waves but the ecotech has more cooler wave features.
the mp40w is way louder than the tunzes. my tank being in the middle of the room seperating my kitchen from the living room you can hear the ecotech whirring away. yes i tried repositioning the wet side and still the sound of whirring. i should of asked around like you did before i bought the vortech. i read in the forums and such about the tunze vs vortech but i wanted to try like any other reefer "new technology" to my surprise i have spent days trying everything to get my vortech as quiet as possible. that shoudnt be for a pump that you spend hundreds of dollars on.

the only good thing for me about the vortechs is the heat on the outside which is good for nano tanks, but the tunzes my opinion are better built and are more quieter than the vortechs. my next investment would go to the new tunzes 6200 controlled by a aquasurf.
hopefull yours works out but prepare for the whirring sound. wrrwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmwwwrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm

my tank being in the middle of the room seperating my kitchen from the living room you can hear the ecotech whirring away.
This is a good description of the sound it makes when it ramps up to the higher RPMs. I guess it really depends on the rest of your equipment. On my tank my skimmer and return pump are louder than this so I consider it acceptable since it is smaller than the tunze and has more features IMO. So far I am satisfied..though I certainly wouldn't do backflips down the aisle either. I agree that for the money it should be quieter, but it is a propeller causing turbulence in the water...the result has to be noise.

and I run the reef crest mode as well

I have to say.....AWESOME!!! 3.5yrs and your first post. Thats alot of holding of the tongue and reading. I wish i were as patient as you!

As far as the vortec's. To pricey imo. I do like the no wires in the tank. They do seem to need alot of maintenence though.

"I have to say.....AWESOME!!! 3.5yrs and your first post. Thats alot of holding of the tongue and reading. I wish i were as patient as you!"

Actually joined RF and RC on the same date and back then RC was the place to be. Unfortunately it has gone down hill so I am exploring other forums. Also setting up my new 270 so have been browsing a lot more.

I finally received my mp20 on Saturday! I was eager to try this pump out and finally give my opinion on the pump. First off it's not loud at all! You can hear it but it's still very quiet while still generating up to 2000 gph. The thing I love most about it is that it is controllable. I love changing the settings and trying to figure out what mode is best for my tank. I like the long pulse mode and I set the pump to turn on at full speed for a few seconds and then it shuts off for a few seconds creating a nice man made wave. I also like the reef crest mode. It's nice just having one pump in the tank now and no wires beside the wire to the driver that is outside of the tank. I think it's worth the price. It's attractive, easy to use, controllable, exceptional flow and no wires inside the tank. Here are a couple pics I took tonight. I installed the wave driver flush with the solana stand.

I have had two mp40's for 6 months and they are working great. They need to be cleaned every two months. Expensive but in my opinion worth the money.

Back