vortech rant!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kpiotrowski

Kevin
c'mon ecotech....I mean REALLY, you charge us soooo much for the vortechs and can't even include in the programming that it will save our night mode setting if the power goes out or they are unplugged? REALLY?

ya, you just want to sell us the battery back up unit right? ya, we know. We get it!

But at $465 ea for a mp40w es ( have 2) you should feel ashamed by about that strategy!

was gonna buy radions next.......not too sure now. Just based on principal!!!

Yeah, the $1000 i spent on them doesn't come that easy to me so I pretty much get what the battery will do. I have a generator to run everthing, not just flow.

I can't explain my rant anymore than I previously stated. but here is an example: If the power goes out for e few seconds and you are not aware then the vortech will not be going into night mode as you previously programmed. They could have at least included a blinking led to let you know you have to reset your settings after a power interuption.

my rant is is they should have come with some more basics for the price. otherwise I'm in love them.

That's kinda weird. :confused: For the price, I figured they had all the bells and whistles, but with that said, I've always been happy with just a Tunze. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you raise a valid point. Most computers have a Hold Up Battery (HUB) that will take care of basic issues like that. I have had two MP-40's for a year now, but I bought the battery pack at the same time so I never noticed this issue. I think you should write a respectful inquiry to Vortech, it's possible that there was some engineering reason they didn't go that route, although I can't imagine that's the reason. It seems like a pretty simple addition. They build better products from their customer's feedback. Maybe your constructive criticism will push them in the right direction. Just make sure they don't see your email as hatemail. :)

yep, IC"s have had the abilty to "burn" memory for how many years? a common calculator from 30 years ago had a "memory" feature. I get that vortech would have had to include a clock display and some sort of battery internaly to save actual time, but could have inclided that abilty to save previous settings.

my personal situation is I like to have the night cycle start at 11pm, a time where 5 days a week I am sleeping already. so now I have to wait for my days off to reset it.

Ya, like I said, it seems reasonable to expect a small HUB to at least hold the data in a power outage. At the same time, I'm personally very satisfied with my Vortechs in terms of the great results I've had with water movement and coral happiness. And, like I said before, the products only get improved when we as customers give them some feedback for what features we'd like. Apex has a way of interfacing to their wireless module to control the Vortechs. I'm wondering if Ecotech is going to create a computer interface GUI for their Vortechs to access the user parameters similar to how they're controlling the Radion fixture. Seems like a logical progression.

hang on now! they are still awesome! just saying for the price it should have had a cup holder....race cars don't have cup holders!

agreed, I find it mildly irritating to have to reset mine every time I take the wet side out to clean it, which is about 1 time monthly. Not a deal breaker as its an awesome gizmo, but it would have been nice. With all the tech they put into making them wireless u would think saving your nightime setting would be cake.

agreed, I find it mildly irritating to have to reset mine every time I take the wet side out to clean it, which is about 1 time monthly. Not a deal breaker as its an awesome gizmo, but it would have been nice. With all the tech they put into making them wireless u would think saving your nightime setting would be cake.

wow do I feel dumb! I never put 2 and 2 together that I originaly lost my settings that long ago when I first cleaned wet side like 4 months ago. now I'm REEEEEEEAAAALY mad! feel like I'm having a heat stroke or sumthin.

I've never lost my settings when removing the wet side to clean? I guess it must go back to whether you have the battery back-up or not? Again, I understand it would be frustrating that you spend that much and don't get a simple HUB to retain data, but if you've spent that stupid amount (and I'm glad I did) what's another $100 for the battery that eleviates everything you all are frustrated with? I have no complaints. Tunze take up more room in tank, and weren't really an option for me. I'm extreemly satisfied with my vortechs.

I've never lost my settings when removing the wet side to clean? I guess it must go back to whether you have the battery back-up or not? Again, I understand it would be frustrating that you spend that much and don't get a simple HUB to retain data, but if you've spent that stupid amount (and I'm glad I did) what's another $100 for the battery that eleviates everything you all are frustrated with? I have no complaints. Tunze take up more room in tank, and weren't really an option for me. I'm extreemly satisfied with my vortechs.

I figured with a generator why go to the extra expense of the battery back-up.

Back