Vortech User Opinions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Chichas01

Ixthus
So I'm thinking of getting a Vortech for my new setup:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41286

So what might work best? 1 MP40 located on one end of the tank?
What about 2 MP20's located on the back, on opposite side of the overflow box?

I would like to avoid any equipment on any of the viewing panes, so my 1st choice would be 2 of the lower output MP20's mounted on the back. And since my background is black they would practically 'disappear'. Anyone out there doing this?

All you would need is 1 mp40!
Put it on one end of the tank on short pulse full blast and your set!
Being you have a 80 gallon it should be perfect for it!

i would get 2 mp20s so you can have even more flow variation rather than a single mp40. also, mp20s are rated for up to 70 gallons and that's kind of close to your tank size.

personally, i just purchased 2 mp20s for my new 90 gallon tank. as far as placement, i'm planning on using one on the back and the other on the side of the tank.

Last edited:
My opinion I believe 1 mp40 is good for that size of tank then if you dont feel its enough link another to it! In the future you might decide to go bigger and having the mp40's will come handy! Anyway you choose won't matter cuz the vorTech is the ish!!

i would get 2 mp20s so you can have even more flow variation rather than a single mp40. also, mp20s are rated for up to 70 gallons and that's kind of close to your tank size.

personally, i just purchased 2 mp20s for my new 90 gallon tank. as far as placement, i'm planning on using one on the back and the other on the side of the tank.

What did you end up paying for the 2 Mp20's? I was thinking that setup might have a more varied flow for the tank as a whole as well. Do you have them up and running?

If it didn't work out, one option would be to get the upgrade kits to move to the MP40's.

Are you ditching the closed loop plans?

Here is a description of my setup to give you an idea of the flow we get.

Our tank is 36" X 18" x 20" with about 2" - 3" sand bed. The MP40 is mounted on the side of the tank and just low enough that vortechs don't get sucked down into the pump. I have the power turned up to about 80% in Reef Crest mode. I feel like if I turned it up higher I would start to kick up too much sand. As it is I have a big sand dune forming on the bottom. At this setting I have just enough flow for some LPS mounted on the far side of the tank.

i ordered the mp20s from barrier reef and they ended up being 760ish, but reefgeek.com has them for cheaper 719, but you still have to pay for shipping. so barrier ended up being pretty close in price once you figured in the cost of shipping. also, i like to support local businesses in times like these. :)

i just got my tank last week and i'm waiting for my light, so i haven't set it up yet... i have another mp20 in my 20 gallon and i love it! the coral seem to really like the flow too; although, i have it set really low because the tank is so small. it's cool to see the multi directional flow plus the undertow action.

i think the option of upgrading to mp40s down the road eases my mind too.

What did you end up paying for the 2 Mp20's? I was thinking that setup might have a more varied flow for the tank as a whole as well. Do you have them up and running?

If it didn't work out, one option would be to get the upgrade kits to move to the MP40's.

Are you ditching the closed loop plans?

Here is a description of my setup to give you an idea of the flow we get.

Our tank is 36" X 18" x 20" with about 2" - 3" sand bed. The MP40 is mounted on the side of the tank and just low enough that vortechs don't get sucked down into the pump. I have the power turned up to about 80% in Reef Crest mode. I feel like if I turned it up higher I would start to kick up too much sand. As it is I have a big sand dune forming on the bottom. At this setting I have just enough flow for some LPS mounted on the far side of the tank.

Nope, the closed loop is still in there. I'm running it through a spray bar to keep water moving between the rocks and the sand bed.

The only downside of having MP20s are that they cannot wirelessly communicate like the MP40w can.

I use one MP40 on my 80 gallon cube and am actually considering adding another later on. Love it. It does disappear on a black background

I'm probably going to end up going with a couple of Tunze 6055's. I can run them off my AC Jr. and spend a lot less money. If next years tax return looks good, maybe I'll do the Vortech then. That is if I even get a tax return looking at where things are headed. Thanks for all the advice.

Back