Want to get new t-5 bulbs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dtd87

I am looking before I upgrade my light for some new bulbs, the current usa bulbs I have seem to be to be like trash. So I am wondering what combination of bulbs is best for growning my corals. I have a 4x24w nova extreme fixture.

So please if you would, tell me which bulb combination is the best and what brand, I'd prefer to buy local than wait weeks for it to come from online.

Yeah the current bulbs are trash basically extremely low PAR compared to giessman or ATI. Here is the combination i have and PAR values for each bulb according to what i found online:

1 ATI Blue+ 311
1 ATI Aquablue special 336
1 GE 6500 340
1 ATI Blue+ 311
=324.5 Overall PAR

Next time i buy bulbs i think I'll get the same combination minus the GE 6500 I'll probably get another blue bulb to replace it. My combination gives a pretty crisp white with a bit of blue/purple look.

Here is what your current bulbs are at:

Daylight 10K 272
Blue 252
Daylight 10K 272
Blue 252
=262 overall PAR

I need to research bulbs so it makes better sense to me, so you get growth from basically blue lighting? And I agree I saw some tek lights with some giessman bulb and was just blown away. Now I need to see if I want a tek light or an ati. Wish they made 30inch fixtures. Where would you say I go to get a better understanding of these bulbs, or do explain yourself :D

Yeah I want a 6bulb lol but ati's are like 600$ w/ bulbs. Thanks for the link,

So now I'm wondering.. since most bulbs are ati's that people are using are the giessmen bulbs similar in quality? And does anyone know where locally seattle seatac renton area where to purchase these bulbs. I hate waiting 10 business days. Gives me major anxiety :p

Sick seeing as I go there all the time, I think I've seen the giessmen bulbs.. Now to just pick a combo.

i personally like this:
giesemann blue +
ATI pro color
geisemann true actinic
geisemann blue +

the look of the true actinic, 2 blue +, and procolor is awesome together as daylight, then the 2 blue + for dawn and dusk

just the geisemann pure actinic and ati pro color
tank027.jpg

this is 2 geisemann blue +
tank030.jpg

sorry dont have one of all 4 on, but it was awesome...

Last edited:
Ok I've decided to get some ATI bulbs from reefgeek.com But now I'm not to sure on the combination of bulbs to get haha. I figure I can get the bulbs first then my fixture later. So which ATI bulbs should I get. I still can't decide between the 24inch 6 bulb or 4 bulb. Help again please

welp... between 4 bulb and 6 bulb it would depend upon what type of corals you want, also, what size tank is this going on??

as for color...i'd ask, do you like more blue than white??
i love alot of blue so, i used 2 blue+, 1pure actinic, and one ATI pro color in a 4 bulb fixture i thought the color was perfect myself...

More blue gets better color outta corals imo. I had an idaho grape that was browned out under stock 10k/actinics. When I started putting more blue in like ATI blue+ though it colored up within a week.

welp... between 4 bulb and 6 bulb it would depend upon what type of corals you want, also, what size tank is this going on??

as for color...i'd ask, do you like more blue than white??
i love alot of blue so, i used 2 blue+, 1pure actinic, and one ATI pro color in a 4 bulb fixture i thought the color was perfect myself...

I have a 36 bowfront rightnow don't know if I'll upgrade anyti
e soon

Do you think I only need the 24x4 or the 24x6 if I someday plan on getting a 46gallon?

Back