Washing hands

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

I like to wash my hands before I work on my tank to get rid of the chemicals and oils that gather on my hands during the day. But I read many times over that you should not use soap before you put your hands in the tank. If I just rinse it off real well, is there any reason not to use soap on your hands before working in the tank? Is there a particular soap that washes off better then others that you guys have found? Are there special additives that are added to soap that I should be careful to avoid? For example, some soap have aloe-vera added for moisture, is this a bad thing? Any other things to avoid?

I also read somewhere that after you wash and rinse, you should dry your hands and then rinse again. Is this extra step important?

Am I being overly paranoid with this whole hand washing thing?

Wear those long gloves, use long thongs or wash throughly, rinse throughly then dry throughly. I don't know, maybe there are better ways, I always use thongs or wash entire arms like mentioned, soap usually rinses off well if it is softened properly.

I use Tom's soap, unsented glycerene (sp?) soap. I wash my hands and rinse throughly, and dry and rinse again. I have had no ill effects to date, and I've been doing this for a long time. For some reasonI just can't get used to the gloves.

If you have zoas, wearing gloves is a good idea...actually even if you don't. Lots of bacteria in a tank and a good way to get some nast infections if you have an open cut.

Wear those long gloves, use long thongs or wash throughly, rinse throughly then dry throughly. I don't know, maybe there are better ways, I always use thongs or wash entire arms like mentioned, soap usually rinses off well if it is softened properly.

Uhmmm, Scott....I support your right to do whatever you want in the privacy of your own home with consenting adults....

But I didnt really need the mental image of you with long gloves and long thongs with or without soap......

:D

Nick

ROFL!!!! I wondered what the heck Scooty meant about thongs :lol: About the washing, I use to wash with very mild soap, rinse well and dry off well and call it a day :)

What's even worse is I said Long Thongs, I couldn't imagine Thongs being long unless maybe a long string.:lol:

Put no hands into the tank or aquarium water. Use gloves. Never feed fish with an ungloved hand if it necessary to hand-feed.

Soaps leave residue. Take a soap with added fragrance. After a thorough washing and rinsing do you still smell the fragrance?

Even when washed, human skin oil and the bacteria on the skin should not mix in with the salt water. Neither should the bacteria from the marine water touch a human hand. There are diseases that go from humans to fish and vice versa.

There are diseases that go from humans to fish and vice versa.

What diseases can one catch? Is there a specific disease/s related to saltwater? I know staph is everywhere, so I don't go about my day worring about it. Any info would be appriciated.

The transmitted diseases are those caused by Mycobacterium sp.. These are the similar bacteria connected to tumors. In humans they create lesions that are very difficult to heal. Some hobbyists have suffered such lesions for several months. There may be outbreaks of unusual strains coming through the system now and then. Fish can carry it and then 'mysteriously die' without the hobbyist even understanding what is happening.

The diseases these bacteria cause are almost impossible to cure and even when the fish is cured, the 'sterilization' of equipment or disposal of all equipment becomes the best way forward. A person with a hangnail, open cuticle, small cut, or obvious open wound is far more likely to pick up these bacteria, though cases are known where the ill hobbyists did not have any known or open wound.

If you know of a marine hobbyist who is ill, has sores that won't heal, running a fever for an extended period of time, make sure they tell their doctor they keep a marine aquarium AND have the doctor look for Mycobacterium sp. infection.

It is so difficult to cure a fish of these diseases, that I would rather put down a fish I have confirmed to be ill with this type of bacteria than to even quarantine the fish and try to save it.

Although I would like to see the hobby expand and get more attention, I don't think it prudent to put marine aquariums in hospitals or classrooms with young children unless the authority understands and accepts these kinds of risks.

Keep hands, feet, elbows, arms, heads, etc. out of your marine system water. Never allow anyone to put their hands into the water, especially children and the elderly. Use gloves when working inside the system or 'under water.' :)

Back