Watch your flow!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

olsaltybastard

I have two Tunze 6100's on magnet mounts and tend to move them around a lot to keep things stirred up. Well, I accidentally placed the pump in such a way that it put direct flow onto one of my SPS corals. Needless to say, I can't kick myself hard enough for being complacent. I now have the controller to reduce laminar flow on any coral should I get another case of stupid. Here are the before and after pics. I am hoping that the coral will eventually pull through as there is still about 1/2 of the skin still intact; the rest is already covered with algae (man that stuff grows fast!!)

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

can I see more pics of the 2nd shot of the coral? I would like to see different angles of the coral

I have my Tunze's set at about 30-80% every 6 seconds and seems to do the trick. To me that acro looks like a deep water specimen which in my experience seem to like a more gentle flow.

Last edited:
I don't believe that to be an A. turaki. I have one and the colony is a bit more slender branched and more highly fused branches.

I have a few types of acro's that I was told are deep water but I don't know their names. This one reminded me of one of them with it's smooth looking texture and branch formation. I am no expert so I may be way off base.

I have my Tunze's set at about 30-80% every 6 seconds and seems to do the trick. To me that acro looks like a deep water specimen which in my experience seem to like a more gentle flow.

You may be onto something there. It's not like it was directly in front of the Tunze; there are other acro's that are much closer and could care less. I may move it to an area of lower flow and see what happens. The good news is that it didn't fully bleach out. I lost about the top 40% and the rest seem to be hanging in there. I also read the instructions to the 7095 controller and they are now pulsing rather than blowing full stream.

Back