water change during cycling?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
how much water would i need to change out to keep my ammonia levels low? 20 gl. will this slow down cycle time?

It will not slow down the cycle as long as the ammonia registers for the first few days. What is in the tank that requires you to keep the ammonia low?

Cheers
Steve

Keeping the ammonia low isn't going to help you. Tangs are not ammonia tolerant in the least. You need to return the tang and let the tank finish cycling.

Cheers
Steve

i got it thursday. i have done small water changes 1-2 times a day. the ammonia levels read safe right now. i think the ammonia spike is at least half over.

I suggest you quickly find a friend that will keep your Tang for you, for about the next 4 to 6 weeks... until your tank fully cycles.

We need to be responsible with our pets, and not put them in harms way just because they are beautiful creatures... and unfortunately this tang WILL NOT survive your tank cycling.

Here's what I do when cycling...I don't change any water for a few weeks to allow it to do it's thing. Cycing to me is prep time not really enjoyment time. I'll let it go maybe 3 weeks before doing my first partial water change (to give the bacteria time to build up etc) As for fish, I only put in the most hardy ones to help with cycling and this is only done after a few weeks, when ammonia has dropped off. Just a though...Blue hippo's IMO, are meant for fully cycled stable tanks. Even then, sometimes you will loose them because they are so fragile and prone to ich. So you can imagine what an un-cycled tank will do to them...

Last edited:
well it's already done. i don't have anywhere to put it. the lfs all have ich in their systems .every time i lookm at them, at least one fish has spots. it has no chance there. my display is almost done starving ich that was in it. it has about a week to a week and a half left, so i am just keeping an eye on the water quality and doing small changes. the fish is eating well and swimming around fine. no signs of stress so far. this is all i can do at this point

well it's already done. i don't have anywhere to put it. the lfs all have ich in their systems .every time i lookm at them, at least one fish has spots. it has no chance there. my display is almost done starving ich that was in it. it has about a week to a week and a half left, so i am just keeping an eye on the water quality and doing small changes. the fish is eating well and swimming around fine. no signs of stress so far. this is all i can do at this point

Well...I guess there is nothing more you can do then...Don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to be rude or mean or anything, but in the future, I'd take a little more caution when doing things and exercise a bit of patience with the hobby. Some things just take time...

i respect everbody's views. i appreciate the replies. i should have waited. i've been doing small water changes and testing 2-3 times a day.should i just continue this and keep the ammonia and nitrites low as possible?

Yes keep changing that water, in the mean time look at your local reef clubs for help you may find help near by.

would some live sand from a bag help out. i could put it in a 4x4 rubbermaid container. if i had to remove it i could just take the container out.it would help multiply bacteria really fast right?

I couldn't say because I'm not sure if the live sand will experience some die-off as well...I'm sure someone else will know, but IMO, I'd just let it run it's course as it is so it can try reach it's equilibrium without anything else "adding into the mix". Just a thought...

not really. What would help is some live rock and live sand from someone who has a properly cycled tank. Or someone who has a used filter from a properly cycled tank. It will be a miracle if the tang comes thru healthy though.

I hope so, that would be good. Not meaning to be a downer, I have seen a lot fish go like that though, I used to work weekends at the LFS.

Do a 15% water change every 3 days & keep adding a little white spot medicine just in case. When your tank has cycled we are all going to take you out back & beat the s... out of you.

Back