water change during cycling?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Do a 15% water change every 3 days & keep adding a little white spot medicine just in case. When your tank has cycled we are all going to take you out back & beat the s... out of you.

ROFL! Welcome to RF Greg:)

i'm doing small daily changes and keeping the makeup water aslose to the qt water as possible. i am keeping about 15g made up ahead of time so that the salts are fully dissolved and it will be easier on his gills

I hope he makes it.
In this hobby nothing happens quickly! take your time and do not rush nature, it is just not possible. Avoid impulse buys and at the end you will have a happier reef tank and will also save money.

Small changes like 15% will be doing essentially nothing for you. I would also not add any medicines.

You need the ammonia converting bacteria matabolism rate to equal the rate that your tank produces ammonia.

If you know of any heavily stocked tanks you could get a cup of sand from to distribute thinly over the surface of your substrate, you could get the ammonia level to drop and hold zero in just a few hours.

Ammonia processing bacteria are fast to grow an aquate population if things like WC'ing arent screwing up nature finding its equilibrium.

Ammonia will be around zero'ish about the time that the problem will start.

NO2 will be your problem. This is why getting some sand from a heavily stocked tank will be even more valuable.

I strongly recomend getting your tang to a safe location for a while during this process.

Once he is out of the tank, DO NOT waterchange, and continue to feed the tank while its cycleing. Just check NO2 level after about a week (stronger circulation and/or more sand from a heavily stocked tank will influence`how rapidly the NO2 level zero's out).

Once NO2 reads zero, and NO3 is definately dectable, your tank will be ready to hold the tang.

I would recommend a 500 ML bottle of this :)
Seachem Has a Bacterial Product called
STABILITY
it will: " Rapidly and safely establish the Aquarium bio filter in Fresh water and Marine systems thereby preventing #1 cause of fish death...Aerobic,Anaerobic,and Facultative Bacteria which facilitate the breakdown of waste organins,Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate..."
at least one of our sponsors sells it !!! and it works safely and fast and is not really expensive either and yes I have am using it :)

Last edited:
why will nitrites be the prob.. i thought ammonia was slightly more toxic than nitrite.

Its not about what's more toxic.

Its about simple math.

The rate ammonia is added is a constant.

While measureable ammonia is present, the growth of the ammonia to NO2 bacteria is growing. This type of growth is exponential, meaning it starts out very slowly, then explodes in population growth.

So, what happens to nitrite levels as this ammonia to nitrite bacteria population hits the explodeing point? The rate nitrite is added to the tank is very different than the rate the ammonia was added. Ammonia was added in a nice gentle linear fashion, with a big head start on multiplying bacteria. The nitrate will be added in a logarithmic fashion.

This is a very bad thing for a bacteria population attempting to reach an equilibrium. Much more difficult, and involveing groups of exponential growth and death in cycles. IE, the term cycleing.

This little page gives a really simple way to understand this growth, and thinking logically about how the growth and death of the first chain in the nitrogen cycle effects the growth and death of the latter chains.

Fortunately, where its all going towards, nitrate, is quite safe to reasonable levels (<40ppm).

Back