Water Changes needed?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

broskie

If I lose an average of 5 gallons a week do to evaporation and I am refilling with RO water and dosing CA and MA. Are water changes still necessary?

Water parameters
78 Degrees
1.024/.25 Salinity
PH 8.3
CA 420
MA 1320-1340
Po4 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0-.25ppm
KH 11 "I beleive if this is the one that goes to 12" :D

YES!!!!

Your water change replenishes all of your trace elements, so you will save on CA and Mg supplements. Also be careful about dosing Mg if you don't have a test kit for it.

Water changes also give you a chance to suck up detrious (sp) and stir up your sand bed. Doing a 20% water change will help you keep your Nitrites closer to zero. Most good synthetic sea salts also have buffers in them that will keep your paramateres solid and stable.

Try to look at it this way. Poop does not evaporate and a skimmer can only do so much.

That is one way of looking at... I am busy figuring my water change system as we speak. I want water changes to be easy, quick, and clean. This way I am more regular.

I do between 30-40% water volume per month....buuuuut

I have a 20 gallon tank so it only cost a few bucks a month to do that many I bust out 2 gallons a week and try to remember to take a n off week.

I have a flawless water change set up. Goes so smooth and only takes about 20 minutes. I use a mag 9.5 to pump water into my sump and then drain water from the display at the same time. Just make sure you have a valve on the end of the may hose to slow it down. 40 gallon water changes.

I did a 10-15% water change on all on my tanks weekly. It's a good way of removing un-wanted waste in the tank that skimmers or mechanical filters might miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 gallon tank w/ 25lbs LR and 1/2" deep sand - 5 gallon water change bi-weekly is 20% monthly. No problems here.

Back