Really BAD water what steps to take?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sounds like you need to bring up you alkalinity, that'll raise PH and bring Ca to balance. 20 nitrates are not a problem for FOWLR.

I'd get rid of that nasty sand too, it's of no use and indeed looks like silica one, not aragonite.

I'm thinking that having consistently low PH (7.5-7.9) and Alk levels which are enough to erode LPS skeletons like Euphylia and Caulastrea would be a factor along with the very acidic levels within the bio-film covering live rock. Especially if this is a low flow system as well. Anyways KUDOS to saving these guys lives!

has no1 spotted the air hes dumping in the display that can have a major effect on nitrates. and wuld suspect the low ph as well. high oxegenated water with active bacteria will cause them to go crazy eating more and wasteing more(nitrates). just my thoughts.

has no1 spotted the air hes dumping in the display that can have a major effect on nitrates. and wuld suspect the low ph as well. high oxegenated water with active bacteria will cause them to go crazy eating more and wasteing more(nitrates). just my thoughts.

Is this true? I am only running air for a few hours in the morning and evening until I can get some more water movement on the surface.

Is this true? I am only running air for a few hours in the morning and evening until I can get some more water movement on the surface.

Had difficulty with his translation but as to gas exchange, most happens at the surface. It is best to have strong laminar flows creating random turbulence. Skimmers can add some gas exchange, but nothing like at the tank's surface or even the overflows. The amount of trapped CO2 in a room can have a larger effect. Best to make sure tank gets a lot of fresh air and has powerheads keeping it churned up. There is never anything wrong with excellent aeration. As to bacteria, they are what breaks down waste. Fish waste of protiens and ammonia to Nitrites to Nitrates. Nitrate exports such as a refugium and water changes removes the nitrates

A little update, all live stock is steel doing great actually we moved the Naso Tang to the clients tank today to reduce load in this tank we would have moved the hippo tang also but with the pale skin and bad color figured we need to get healthier before doing so. Got the water a little better with water changes and ph buffer. Nitrates are still very high IMO and Phosphates but once my new skimmer and bioplastics reactor get broken in on my DT I will move a Phosphate reactor to this tank and get that down. The directions on the bioplastics say it can be put in a media bag and put in a filter just be careful of sulferic gas, do you think I could put this in a fluval filter to try and get rid of the nitrates? Just a thought, Oh yea I picked a digital PH tester also for more accurate readings

parameters now
salinity 1.023
phosphates 2.5
PH 8
ammonia - less than .25
nitrates 40-80
KH 7.8

I know some say get rid of the sand substrate but with it only being a QT with the possibility of using treatments down the road (worst case) would that be a good idea I would like to keep it simple and low cost for maintaining as well. I was thinking of using plastic 1/4" grate to divide a section of the tank up and putting chaeto, macroalgae or something in it to help export unwanted waste.

I'm glad everything seems to be moving in the right direction. It must be rewarding to have rescued the tangs from a bad situation. I think dividing the tank and adding macroalgae seems like a good idea although when the tank is a QT, some medications will kill macoalgae.

I'm glad everything seems to be moving in the right direction. It must be rewarding to have rescued the tangs from a bad situation. I think dividing the tank and adding macroalgae seems like a good idea although when the tank is a QT, some medications will kill macoalgae.

I figured that if it ever came down to where I needed to medicate I would just pull it out and put it in my DT refugium then put it back when I am done unless the medication is safe.

Back