Water evaporation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

loluckyve

Still amazed
Had my 125 gallon up and running 3 weeks now. Have noticed that with weather warming up have almost 2 gallons a day needing to be replaced in refg tank. I am running MH for 8 hours a day and my house has the humitity of the state of FL now. Is this about right for evaporation? Am I running the lights too long? Will an air conditioner it a distant bedroom be ok?

Thanks

I have at least that much evap in my 210, the air conditions in another room will probably have no real impact. I wish my home had high humidity. Even in the winter time we have to run humidifiers and steam water on the stove to get it up into the comfy range.

5 gallons a day, wow. As long as I know it's within a normal range I'm fine. Thanks once again for the help and speedy replies.

A fellow addict

i evaporate 5 gallons a day in my 210 reef. I just set up my RO unit to run to my newly installed autotop off so I dont have worry about the loss anymore.

The general rule of thumb on evap is 1-2% of total water volume per day. You can limit it by putting lids on things and running things cooler. A few degrees makes a big difference in evaporation. When the tank is warmer than the general air temp you will get more evaporation.

wheeeeeew Im glad this thread came about.....I didnt realize that evap was so rapid......I was almost convinced I had a small leak in our 44G with 10G fuge....seems like I lose maybe a 3/4 -1 gal a day rough estimate.

The more open surface area you have, the more evaperation you will have too. My 60 gal which had a cover on it lost about a 1/2 of a gallon a day and my 54 gal tank with no cover on it looses about a 1 gal a day. The 75 with no cover, looses about 1.25 gal a day. The RSM34 loses about a 3 cups, maybe a quart a day.

Last edited:
I have considered getting a cover, but opinions differ about putting glass/or any surface between your lighting and the water.
does that contribute much to degrading light quality? I get keeping that surface clean is essential of course.

I have considered getting a cover, but opinions differ about putting glass/or any surface between your lighting and the water.
does that contribute much to degrading light quality? I get keeping that surface clean is essential of course.

The glass will get dirty enough to need cleaning almost daily & not many will do that. Also the more water surface to air the better of gas & heat exchange through evaporation it an efficient way to accomplish this & helps provide better conditions for your tank.;)

I will be covering my tank next winter, I ended up with quite a mold problem last winter because I couldn't air out the house. I also lose 10 gallons plus a day. If your house is that humid, you might want to invest in a dehumidifier now. Replacing walls/floors isn't fun.

Back