water flow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cobyb

i have a 120 gal that is 48x24x24 and i am still trying to figure everything out. i have mostly lps and a couple sps and 2 anemones. iv noticed that im getting some kind of build up on my substright, and belive it has to do with poor water movement. i had 1 korilla 3 and 1 korilla 2, and just bought a k4. can you help with placement ideas, or is thier any diagrams on here of what works best.
thanks everyone

Theres no real good diagram that would help you out. It just all depends on where your rock placement are. I have the same footprint tank but I have gone a different route with the powerheads. main thing to do is place them and then see how your corals react. As some corals dont like alot of flow then others love it. I doubt the korilla 2 is doing much as I have the new evo 1050 and it sucks on flow.

Are you running a sump/return pump? If not I don't think the powerheads you have are enough. How much liverock do you have in there? How long has the tank been set up?

well i got the tank from a friend who was had it for a few years, i do have a sump with a return, 8 fish (small), three anemones, a few lps and a couple sps.

Depending on the size of your return pump you very well may have enough flow with what you have. Just move your powerheads around till your happy with the flow. If you just re-set up or moved this tank the dirty sand is just part of the tank getting re-adjusted.

Hey Coby....I have the same size tank..In mine i Have 3 k4's....I have had it set up that way for about 3 yrs..It took a lot of time moving powerheads around to find just the right amount of flow....Trial and error....On thing i noticed is that if you point a powerhead and kind of bounce it off of the glass it helps to spread it..
I am actually getting another k6 to add to my tank....But I still have a few deadspots I am working on fixing..
Its my oppinion that you will need more flow....It really helps to keep the tank more clean...Keep everything suspended in the water column to be sent to the sump so the skimmer can do its job!!

There are several brands of controlable powerheads. Just to name a few are the koralia's, seios, and tunzes.
The tunzes are the more expensive of those 3.
For the price of one of the tunze 6085's you could get 3-4 of the koralia's.

i have the same tank...

return pump reeflo dart split into a 1" sea swirl and a 1" scwd.
1 vortech mp40 set to pulse mode and max

im really not trying t be a retard here. so the controlables are just ones you can use with a controller, (wave maker).
sorry

I have several different controlable powerheads.
One is a pair of seio 1500's and the seio controller. It makes the flow ramp up to full power for a set amount of time and then down to a minimum.
I also have a pair of tunze 6055's with a single controler, which does about the same thing in the same way.
I also have a pair of vortechs that have a variety of settings that do many different flow patterns and durations.

Back