water gurgling sound

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

S

scootertrash

I recently purchased a used 180 gallon tank with sump system. Got an awesome deal and I think most of my problem is my lack of knowledge. Other than an outbreak of brown algae I have a very annoying gurgling water sound coming from one of the corner drain lines to the sump below. It seems to be the typical looking setup drilled through the bottom of the tank and pvc to the sump. The pvc line is 1" and has 2 45 degree elbows in it. It is not a constant gurgle....runs fine for about 30 seconds and then ejects a fairly large amount of air. This goes on 24/7 and it about to drive me nuts. Last night I inserted a small 1/4" piece of plastic air line down the vent hole through the top elbow of the drain pipe and it stopped the noise. But I got up this morning only to find that the noise has returned. I need help before I got off the deep end with this noise......all and any advice would be greatly appreciated....

can you take a picture of your drain and post it. If you can not look up Durso and see if that is what your drain looks like.

I solved it,,,I just cut the stand pipe down in the drain sump off above the water level.....better to have the trickle noise than the flush.....

Back