Water in New Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

vacrin

I have just set up a new tank. The display is 185 and the sump is a 75 but will probably contain 50 gallons of water. I was wondering if it would be OK to use straight tap water for the initial water to begin the cycling process and then begin using RO/DI water as I make water changes and top off? My tap is 105 TDS and comes from a small private water system. Would there be any issue with residual minerals or chemicals after several weeks of water changes?

What part of LA are you from, I can make you a few tubs to help get started. Preferably I would not use tap ever because of a number of possibilities or nasties in the water. Louisiana has a web site http://www.lareefclub.com/forum/portal.php I'm sure you can get help locally with the extra water your needing, just sign in & post a "HELP" thread! Everyone there is very helpful!

Water

Thanks for the link to LARC. I can make the water, that's not really a big deal, it will just be slow. I will probably go with RO/DI water initially just to be safe. I've never used anything other than RO/DI in my current tank and have had very few issues with water quality in it.

Back