water into overflow ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well my personal opinion then is that the using of the ¾ inch tees are just too small. I don’t know why you would need to downsize them unless it’s a space issue in your box. This mode will work the same with any size box and tubing and making the size smaller will only reduce the capacity of the over flow box 1200 to maybe 600 gph. The inside diameter of 1in vs 3/4in is like close to 50% reduction in volume. You are simply over running the mod on your overflow box. I have a 1 ¼ line in my overflow box and have a T connection on the top with two 90s on each side that point down with a small hole drilled in the top of the center of the T.

Opening and closing the hole will not increase or decrees the capacity of the box. It is there to break the vacuum in the tubing that causes the noise. Opening it too much will allow noise to escape from the opening. Closing it too much will give you the toilet flushing affect over and over.

Hold on a second.

Maybe all your problems are the height of your tubing on your secondary box. Try lowering the tubing in your outer box an inch or so. Maybe the water is just entering in too high and not allowing a vacuum affect in the first box. If you’re secondary box drain is too high it will also cause a similar affect that you are having.

How is the water in the out side box? Does the water fall over the baffle of the outer box before going into your chamber with the drain tubes or is it just level all the way across before and after the baffle? Its hard to tell from the pictures just where the level of everything is.

Well my personal opinion then is that the using of the ¾ inch tees are just too small. I don’t know why you would need to downsize them unless it’s a space issue in your box. This mode will work the same with any size box and tubing and making the size smaller will only reduce the capacity of the over flow box 1200 to maybe 600 gph. The inside diameter of 1in vs 3/4in is like close to 50% reduction in volume. You are simply over running the mod on your overflow box. I have a 1 ¼ line in my overflow box and have a T connection on the top with two 90s on each side that point down with a small hole drilled in the top of the center of the T.
it was a space issue, the tees iam using are 1'' in and out with the tee opening 3/4,

How is the water in the out side box? Does the water fall over the baffle of the outer box before going into your chamber with the drain tubes or is it just level all the way across before and after the baffle? Its hard to tell from the pictures just where the level of everything is.
it falls about 1/4 of an inch, i know by closeing up the hole alittle make it flow faster and lowers the water in both boxes, to where ever i need it to be

Back