water level?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The water level of the main tank is determined by the height of the overflow. Raise or lower that.

The water level of the main tank is determined by the height of the overflow. Raise or lower that.
didnt seem to get the level i wanted,so i took some water out of the sump, and reset the overflow, the tank level is good, but the return pump, is starving for water

Some how you need to lower the level at which the water enters the drain.
Then you can refil the sump to the proper level.

What is the drain capasity and what return pump are you using?

Ok, I just went back and looked at your thread about the over flow box you modded.
Did you use this box on your tank before you modded it?
Did it work?

Ok, I just went back and looked at your thread about the over flow box you modded.
Did you use this box on your tank before you modded it?
Did it work?
this is a new addition to the tank, never had a sump before. yes moded the overfow, iam thinking where the level is in the main tank, i just need to add alittle water to the sump..

IMO you need to restrict the return pump flow to create a balance between tank water level and proper sump water level.

Think of the overflow portion in the tank is a yogurt cup you press into the water surface, whatever amount of water above the rim would like to get into the yogurt cup until it's filled. Then think of if the yogurt cup has a way to siphon water out of it into your sump, in that case your cup won't ever get filled up, and water above that rim would go down that drain.

Then think of your facet is your return pump, if:
The draining is = to facet (perfect world not real)
The draining is > then the facet (drain starve a little, no big deal, it's auto adjusted by nature)
The draining is < then the facet (pump starve or flooding your main tank, no good)

Hope this help, cause that's how I explain it to my friend when he first setup a tank during planning

Solution:
You can actually do what I use to do with the return pipe. I put a Tee between the pump and the main tank. The extra outlet of the tee goes to a ball value and then back to the stage one of your sump.

Advantage:
- No need to buy a new slower pump (wasted the current one) nor buy a new overflow to drain faster (the ain't cheap either)
- flexibility, you can use the same equipments when you upgrade to a bigger tank, or even downgrade to a smaller one.
- You can control how much water would goes to the main tank without flooding it nor starving the pump (the water volume in the sump stay the same)
- lower stress on your pump because you are not increasing pressure by restricting its output, you are redirecting extra.
- An open slot for creative setup: you don't need an extra water pump during water change, or use the extra outlet for other equipment or diy project.

Con:
-You have to DYI, no commercial prod for that I've seen.
-Depends on your sump setup sometimes might put too much flow, splash .... etc (only if your pump is much much stronger than your drain, which is not your case)

This is just my 2 cents and hope it makes sense.
Good luck

Sorry, I didn't read the post above clearly. Yes, reverting your mod would totally fix the issue.

everything is up and running, i still need to quiet down the overflow, tried the durso pipe couldnt get the hole in the cap big enough to let it drain fast enough, didnt try long at, just using it as is round foam pices over each stand pipe

everything is up and running, i still need to quiet down the overflow, tried the durso pipe couldnt get the hole in the cap big enough to let it drain fast enough, didnt try long at, just using it as is round foam pices over each stand pipe

One way to quiet the drain down is to use a lower flow pump.
Less water going down = less noise.

Back