Water movement without closed loop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Is it possible to get back on track? :) I appreciate the discussion, but it doesn't help me make a decision. I am too lazy to mod a MJ. I am likely going to purchase a Tunze 6080 unless someone tells me that another (non-mod) setup up would be better. I like the fact that I can swivel the Tunze, bouncing the stream off the glass.

NeuroDoc said:
Is it possible to get back on track? :) I appreciate the discussion, but it doesn't help me make a decision. I am too lazy to mod a MJ. I am likely going to purchase a Tunze 6080 unless someone tells me that another (non-mod) setup up would be better. I like the fact that I can swivel the Tunze, bouncing the stream off the glass.

Sorry, Id use a coulple of tunze 6100's on a controller. The vortec's look cool but just to new, I'd givem a few years.

Don

DonW said:
Sorry, Id use a coulple of tunze 6100's on a controller. The vortec's look cool but just to new, I'd givem a few years.

Don

Thanks Don. I have a deal on a 6080 I am thinking about, and may just go with that for now. I may consider upgrading to the Vortech or controllable Tunze's in the future.

Last edited:
Luke, you made a pretty good observation here in my opinion
GPH is not something we should be putting emphasis on, as it really has no more relivance to your corals getting adquate water movement than saying the wattage of your lights relates to the amount of light the corals see.
But what the heck do you mean by this statement ie "normal people"
I respect your position. Its the same position my GF and most normal people would take on things.

I am upgrading to a 75 in a couple of months and like NeuroDoc I am not interested in a closed loop so I am thinking that I will need a couple of Tunze's, are they really worth their high purchase price ?

I will see when I build mine but I was sure there was hype behind these when people were talking 3000 gph. thanks for the input Don.

NeuroDoc said:
I am in the process starting a new tank. For a number of reasons I do not want to create a closed loop system. So that leaves me with needing to create flow. I want to put some SPS in my tank, but will also have LPS and softies, along with a few fish. I am very intrigued with the Vortech pumps, but also know that Tunze makes high quality powerheads as well. I am pretty sure I will go with either of these. Is there any reason at all I should choose one over the other? Are there any reasons to consider something else, say a wavemaster pro with 4 maxijets or seios?

Thanks
what size is the tank,this would help about the flow you will need.

It is a 75G tank, 48x18x20, with a 40g sump. I have yet to decide what pump I will use as return, but one limitation is that there will be a 3/4" sea swirl on the return, and it's maximum flow is 850gph. This will likely be place in the back left corner, near the overflow. I have committed to buying the Tunze (6080) and will likely place it in the back right corner, pointing towards the front wall of the tank. Hard to know exactly, until I get rocks put in. All of this will likely be in a few months.

RGibson said:
what size is the tank,this would help about the flow you will need.

For a return pump used a eheim 1260.I would buy a Tunze 6100 and if the flow is to much tunze as a control to ajust the speed built right in the pump.Get the magnet holder for the pump makes mounting the pump so much better.

Hey NeuroDoc, I can testify with the Tunze & controllers, nothing on the Vortechs & making mods on a maxijet are for the people that want to DIY a ph, I don't see why they don't just buy the MJ1200 lol, I had two of them but they put out a small tiny stream of water, run great for the spots that you can't get otherwise. The tunze with magnets allow various options for mounting including the corners, also Tunze makes a wave-box that I saw here on RF (think it was Mike Harringtons tank) it worked very well in the video.
2 cents worth!

Thanks guys,

I will consider the Tunze/controller combo in the future. Who knows, by then the vortechs may have proven themselves and I'll go with those and a wavemaster pro. :)

I was able to pick up a used 6080 with magnet for a really good price which will work for now, as I don't anticipate stocking my tank too heavily for the first year, and the few corals I will be transferring to this tank are softies and LPS. My biggest worry is removal of detritus. Well see how the Tunze works.

RGibson, I was thinking of a MAG-12 or 18, with a split return (actually tri-split with one output back to my refugium, flow restricted with ball valve). Do you think the Eheims are better?

Just out of curiosity, why the absolute no on a closed loop? IMO, powerheads are really ugly.

I hate to be the devils advocate but...between the mag 12 or 18...and the tunze, you're going to have a lot of flow for a 75g. With softies and lps, you'll need some lower-medium flow areas. I'd imagine a smaller return pump like a mag 7 or 9 would work just fine.

On the choice of powerheads, I think you've already decided to go with a tunze. They're great powerheads. I'm just on a limited budget and already own a pile of MJ's so i'm going to spend the $30 to mod two of my MJ's. Without getting to focused on the the best of everything, i think the modded MJ's will work just fine for my purposes.

Last edited:
Yes, I decided to go with the tunze. I couldn't pass up the price I got it for. If it turns out to be too much flow, then I guess you'll see it for sale here in a couple of months. :lol: Thanks for the advice about too much flow, hadn't really even thought about that. I guess I'll have to be really careful about where I aim the tunze. I plan on placing my return for surface agitation, I don't know how much that translates into flow deeper in the tank.

thanks for all the feedback

zenn said:
I hate to be the devils advocate but...between the mag 12 or 18...and the tunze, you're going to have a lot of flow for a 75g. With softies and lps, you'll need some lower-medium flow areas. I'd imagine a smaller return pump like a mag 7 or 9 would work just fine.

On the choice of powerheads, I think you've already decided to go with a tunze. They're great powerheads. I'm just on a limited budget and already own a pile of MJ's so i'm going to spend the $30 to mod two of my MJ's. Without getting to focused on the the best of everything, i think the modded MJ's will work just fine for my purposes.

Back