Waveline DC 10000 pumps for close loop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Spinner-

I know this is an older thread, but did you end up going with the Waveline DC10000 on your closed loops? And how do you like them? I am planning a big project and have been thinking about doing something similar with DC pumps and happened to stumble on this thread. Thanks.

No I went with four Reeflo Blow Hole 2700s but sent them back they were having trouble with their new pump locking on low speed then stopping. I think now I am going with Laguna 2400s? STILL RESEARCHING:(

Thanks for the response. Did you hear some recommendation against the Wavelines?

I haven't done extensive research but they seemed to get good reviews from Advanced Aquarist if I remember right and have since come out with a few new models? My main complaint would be that I don't think they're yet controllable by any major controller like Apex, although I think it's in the works if not already done. Hopefully by the time I get ready to build, there will some viable product out there like it seems we're both seeking.

By the way, I read a big build thread out of Canada that ended up going with Abyzz (DC) pumps out of Germany. I believe they require a 220 supply and don't know how controllable they are outside of the proprietary Abyzz controller (if they can interface easily to anything we might be using). They seemed to work well in that tank 1000+ gal system that's very well designed.

I'd love to hear what you go with and how they work out for you. Thanks.

The new GEN 2 Wavelines would be a nice choice for close loop, New electrical plug, cooling fins, micro chip is now in controller in lieu of pump, controller is not 6 speeds anymore but 0 to 100% great for close loop:) Better impeller design with upgraded design to use inline without leaking also hooks up to most other controllers now too. Good priced pump for what it can do and what they have as standard features!!!!!

I'm using a dc10000 for my closed loop. Here's my layman's opinion.

It's very quiet. Can't hear it at all.

I don't like the connections, I'm using 1-1/4" flexible tubing, I think, because you cannot attach PVC to the threads that come on them. I was bummed about this at first, but now that I'm using flexible I don't so much mind, I can move it around a little in the stand to get to stuff, etc. The new dc12000's are supposed to have PVC type of threads.

I had some problems with the electrical connection on the controller, and it took them forever to get me a new one. Eric at OBD really had to get tough with them. I was having trouble getting them to answer my emails, then all of a sudden they'd answer one at like 11PM! I think there customer service is lacking.

I'm using mine with two 1" lines into the tank. Each of those is split into four 3/4" loc lines, so 8 outlets all together. I wish I had a little more flow, but it's not bad. I'd really like to get an Oceans Motion to vary the flow from one rock pile to the other, but I don't know if I've got room in my stand. Plus, I don't want to spend the money now.

I don't worry about the multiple speed settings, I just have it on full blast.

Since I only have 1 of them, I see no need to have the apex controller capability. If you have more than one, then I think that would be cool.

Overall? I like it, but I may get a bigger one when they come out, or supplement with the Oceans Motion.

Thanks for the info. It's always frustrating dealing with odd sized or flimsy fittings on these pumps. I've trashed quite a few mag-drives over the years because I'm not very gentle with the thin plastic. Looks like the new waveline models are a step up.

Back