Weekend Question #1

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm pretty sure Ive read the same article, so here is a hint.:)

boxcar.jpg

Don, I am familiar with the article:
http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/Projects/c2c/channel/documents/783295_Gone_Fishin.pdf

But the question was more specific on "A computer was given the task to design the perfect shape to move through seawater"

I suspect that the program entailed a lot more specific fluid dynamic algorithms, and was not specific for saltwater.

"This would be an efficient shape. Drag would be minimum and the energy to move the shape through the water needed to be minimized."

EFFICIENCY is too general, efficient for what?, Speed, agility, momentum? Boxfish doesn't meet those. It is only efficient for slow speed energy conservation. At higher speeds, it's drag rises rapidly.

I have seen other computer studies showing the tuna as the best designed for lack of drag relative to power allowing sustained high velocity with at energy relative to momentum.

Don, I am familiar with the article:
http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/Projects/c2c/channel/documents/783295_Gone_Fishin.pdf

But the question was more specific on "A computer was given the task to design the perfect shape to move through seawater"

I suspect that the program entailed a lot more specific fluid dynamic algorithms, and was not specific for saltwater.

"This would be an efficient shape. Drag would be minimum and the energy to move the shape through the water needed to be minimized."

EFFICIENCY is too general, efficient for what?, Speed, agility, momentum? Boxfish doesn't meet those. It is only efficient for slow speed energy conservation. At higher speeds, it's drag rises rapidly.

I have seen other computer studies showing the tuna as the best designed for lack of drag relative to power allowing sustained high velocity with at energy relative to momentum.

We'll see the germans, russians and us governments have also conducted the studies as chrystler and have all concluded the same. The boxfish thing isnt new. Maybe lee has something different in mind.

Don

Most did very well with your guesses.

One might reason that the fish would be a long distance swimmer, otherwise why such a shape?

The shape drawn by the computer was that of the Tuna.

:)

Back