Weight

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey! Are you saying I look FAT?! :) :) :)

Not fat...just really fricken' tall!!!

FIRST, THANKS EVERYONE.

Well, I just picked a tank up. I went with a 210. Same dimensions as the 180's but 5" taller. Im not sure we could even get this thing upstars.

I am not really fimiliar with house construction and things of that nature.

Should I re-enforce the floor on the bottom floor if I keep it down there?

Tank is 6'x2' footprint with a solid base.
Very simple even for fatheads, since the second floor is more structural, keep the tank on the first floor, but hang it from the stronger second floor. Keep it from swinging in case of an earthquake

I have a 180, 90 and 26 all on the second floor of a crappy built townhouse and have had no problems. My6 stand is built a bit overkill but distributes all weight across the 6 foot length of the tank across multiple joists. Think of how much a water bed weighs with 2 people on it and it does not seem quite so daunting, its all about pounds per square inch and building codes require a considerable amount to meet code. If your unsure or uneasy about the construction cut out a square of drywall downstairs and take a peak if you want extra bracing cross brace the joist with construction glue and screws...

Just a little info from myself. I own a house that was built in 1920. I don't think I would have any issues with putting a large tank like that on the second floor. Like someone else said, the older the house, the stronger the wood. I redid the siding on my dormer and was bending nails while doing it. I even just hit the wood with the hammer and it didn't even dent the wood. The crap is like steel. If you've got an older house, I don't think you'd have a problem if you were able to put it in a corner with the floor joists running perpendicular to the tank.

Back