Weird Critter In My Live Rock.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SPAuthentic

Hello Everyone,

I've recently ventured into the saltwater hobby and my tank is currently in the cycling stage.

Anywho....

I bought some live rockoff craigslist and after a few weeks of being in my tank I noticed this little dude crawling inside one of the holes in my liverock.

I couldn't take great pictures but I've posted what I got below... It pretty much just shows that it moves lol...

Also, I'm already having nasty brown algae problems so I went out and bought a few turbo snails and this critty kinda resembles a snail without a shell....

The critter looks like a yellow snot like slime thingy with small eyes and a little mouth-like suction thing. It also has 2 small atena. kinda creepy.....

The only yellow thing I see is tunicate sponge. They don't crawl but do grow. I like the yellow ones. Can be white, black, yellow, even blue. Filter feeders. Nice looking rock.

herefishyfishy sponge? it moved to a different spot
does it look like it has a fingernail type shell? if so its a stomatella snail.

well if you look in the picture is shows that its in a different spot

quote: The critter looks like a yellow snot like slime thingy with small eyes and a little mouth-like suction thing. It also has 2 small atena. kinda creepy

I'm inclined to agree with Herefishyfishy. With some imagination it could be a lettuce nudibranch but that would be a stretch, plus they are green not yellow and tend to have more ripples.

images.jpg

Does it look a little like this if so then it could be a stomatella, and has it moved since. They like to stay in the rockwork so it may be a while before you see it again.

images.jpg

Does it look a little like this if so then it could be a stomatella, and has it moved since. They like to stay in the rockwork so it may be a while before you see it again.

Sorry for the late response (I'm posting from work lol), But I'm pretty sure that this is it. Although the one in the picture looks alot bigger lol....

I took a look at it this morning and it does look like it kinda has a clear fingernail like shell and while it does move... he only stays in that little hole.

Thanks again guys, You guys are always so much help!

btw... are these things ok for my tank? or should I try to get him out of there?

They are great. If you have coral they release eggs and sperm so the coral can eat them =). At least mine does.

thanks floyd for the picture. i was on my cell during this post. these are good to have in your tank

Back