Weird growth

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BUlicny

I have a 55Gal that is being cycled. Set up for about 5 days now. I put 40lbs of live sand in it. Plus some other stuff the wife and kid wanted as well. See pic.. Anyway, I noticed a clear slime on some of my rocks. They are not live, but Im going to put live rocks in as soon as possible. Here is my question. What is it for one?? Is it part of the cycling process?? See pics..

View attachment 20511

View attachment 20512

Hmmm...Hard to really tell by the pics:oops: Any chance to get a bit closer? In any event, it may not be needed as the description may stand out to someone else so good luck!:)

BTW, your tank looks great so far!:)

Don't know about the slime, however if you are going to add some live rock thats when your cycle will really begin

Can not see anything. As statd above get that LR in to really get it going.

I have a 55Gal that is being cycled. Set up for about 5 days now. I put 40lbs of live sand in it. Plus some other stuff the wife and kid wanted as well. See pic.. Anyway, I noticed a clear slime on some of my rocks. They are not live, but Im going to put live rocks in as soon as possible. Here is my question. What is it for one?? Is it part of the cycling process?? See pics..

View attachment 20511

View attachment 20512

Looks like you are starting to grow algae. Starting the cycling process. Live rock will introduce all kinds of creatures to your tank. It's the only way to go:)

Don't know about the slime, however if you are going to add some live rock thats when your cycle will really begin

Im picking up about 20lbs today from a LFS. I also have a blue damsel in it for cycling reasons. After the cycle is complete, he will probably be traded back in for something better. Wanted to go with a realitively cheap fish to start off with. Thanks for all the input, I think its part of the cycling process. This morning it wasnt as bad, and seemed to be receding.

Fish traps work great with hungry damsels. Build your own out of a 2 liter soda bottle, cut the bottom off, add meaty food and invert the funnel into the base.

Back