weird zoas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'd be fascinated! It sounds like you, not so much. Maybe the new pics might change my mind...ahh! Look out it's Zoazilla!!LOL. Is it just that colony or do you have others showing odd growth?

This may not be helpful and more anecdotal... I had something similar though far less severe happen on just one polyp, then the growth turned into more skirt so I dismissed it as a normal growth activity. I don't know if that was normal but what you're experiencing is clearly abnormal.
In another light, you may have a great new mutated form that some may actually pay big bucks to get their wet little hands on.:)

hahaha i hope:)its just those that is doing it...all 6 polyps..actually 2 smaller ones are just mild but later might do it too....:)

wow i wonder what makes it do that the ones that i got from you arnt doing it

Hmmm...curious. I wonder if it's environmental or pathogenic? Maybe both?
If it is environmental, wouldn't you have observed a more widespread response?
Are the Magicians close to the 'warties'?

Could it be an individual response to something in the water? (yer zoa has teh allergy...hehe)

I am an avid zoa collector, and have seen this before. Main cause that I've seen is because of touching other Semi aggressive corals. Seems the fighting or stinging isn't enough to cause major damage, but causes deformation. I have also seen this from inconsistancy of salinity or temperature.

i moved it to my new tank with new lights...(my old tank has new lights too...so i dont think its because of bad bulb:))
my new tank is 3 months now and i notice some of the bubbly tentacles are gone...some polyps went normal..still some are bubbly..will take pics later:)though of all zoas this ones are very tough..always open and no problem of some sort...:)

Looks to me like they are becoming deformed from a chemical imbalance or possibly aggression or being touched by another coral. I've kept many many kinds of zoas and palys, and they just do the weirdest things. I've seen three different kinds actually divide and split rather than growing mat and budding. Many of mine have looked like that after contact with ricordias, and other semi aggressive corals.

Back