Well believe it or not, no one knows what this is. Does anyone here have any ideas.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

and to followup/clarify... not all precips are massive snowstorms or even any discernable "flaking." More often we (all) see some insoluble calcium carbonate indeed forms and accumulating as a chalky residue in the sumps, etc. Its generally caused by adding a Ca supplement too fast (not necessarily too much for the system... but too fast and/or without adequately ameliorating the dose before pouring it into the system)

Mine is actually the alk that does that. I dose Kent A and B. DOnt use much A. Only usually dose the B. Into the sump I dose. WHen it clumps up, i stirr it and it disipates. No calc. I use Kent Mag. Dose in the sump.

You can cure that by pouring your dose into a gallon of rodi water and slowly dump that into the sump.

Don

Mine is actually the alk that does that. I dose Kent A and B. DOnt use much A. Only usually dose the B. Into the sump I dose. WHen it clumps up, i stirr it and it disipates. No calc. I use Kent Mag. Dose in the sump.

IMO, that stuff is kinda expensive for what it is. I'd suggest using ESV calcium chloride and arm&hammer baking soda. This would at least save you (and/or your friend) some $$.

Ameliorating is just an uncommon verb tense of the word "ameliorate" which means "to make better." I remember that because to me it kinda sounds like a combination of the words "amicable" (friendly) and "alleviate" (to relieve).

ah, yes... my fault. I should have said/conveyed better "to dilute" or "make milder" the dose. It is true for most supplements that it is good or better to dilute them in some aquarium water (liters) rather than pour them in concentrated.

Back