Well look what we have here.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

iroll253

Mr Aqua 11.4g

22x10x16 sump.

I am in need of advice during this build otherwise there would be water in it.

Pics in a few.

I've got some advice for ya. Quit bothering us with build threads when you don't have pics! Some of us are trying to sleep!

Now before i put a cap on this drain i need to know what is the best way to get the most gph out of it. So i can just use the sea swirl for my only flow source.

How much flow are you wanting to push through that Seaswirl? You'll get the most capacity out of that drainpipe if you cap it without putting an airhole in the cap but it might be noisy if it ends up sucking air in. Try that and if you need to bore a small hole in the cap to quiet the overflow. That's probably the simplest thing you can do. Good luck with the tank. I love the little 20G that I put next to my workbench in the garage.

Mike

thats what i was thinking but i also want to find a balance so i dont overflow the tank. Im thinking about drilling another hole with an elbow pointing up and a strainer attached to it. so its a herbie. I just dont want to crack the glass..

How big is that PVC? 1"? It wouldn't take much to handle a Rio. I wouldn't want to drill that small tank too much. More plumbing will really stand out in a tank that small. I'd plumb it and run it in your garage first. If the overflow isn't big enough then you can make changes.

looks like 1 inch possible 3/4" I think how you have it will be ok open top I never heard a noise from my top being that open. I have other issues with noise on my 240 it is a 1-2 in wave and the 2" drain lol sounds like a fricken toilet flushing every 5 seconds. I think a strainer will fix that problem though. or like Mcoomer stated cap with a small hole start with the smallest bit first thn increase until the noise is gone then add a airline with a small valve. and walla your golden.

Its only 3/4.. Thats why I'm worried and i am not comfortable drilling a 1'' over the same hole to make it bigger if the drain isn't enough.. Thanks guys I'm gonna finish the plumbing tomorrow and get the cap. Will do a wet test after the glue dries.

yeah 3/4 i think full siphon will give 300-400 gph I will check on that tomorrow 1" give 600 under full siphon. so maybe a smaller return which really wont help the sea swirl any. or do a closed loop on the sea swirl and over the top return.

Closed loop really isnt an option for me on this tank. I have the sump already in the stand and want to use it to add the volume. i might just get the gph i can without running the pump full.. possibly later get an mp10 if the flow isn't enough. I just want to keep the clean look. Suspending the light too. Im just worried about having the drain on full syphon then it slowly raising water level. Is it possible to find a true safe balance without drilling the cap. Or does drilling the cap even save it from overflowing? Im not familiar with anything but herbies.

no offense but if your looking for a clean look, that seaswirl is going to ruin it for you... big bulky black box hanging on the rim?? especially in a topless/rimless with a hanging light. just drill a second hole for a return on the other side of the tank...
and you really dont want that much flow through the sump.
you want that flow for the main display, not the filter...
I would suggest getting a tunze 6025 for flow, or yes, the mp10 if you can afford... you should have like a maxijet 1200 as a return pump...

skip the maxijet get a Queit One 1200 that is a little more then a mj1200 but with head pressure your probly looking around 300-250gph

actually the mj-1200 would be better with less flow @ 4'...
remember, this is only 11g

both the mj-1200 and qo 1200 are 295gph pumps @ 0'
but yes, the qo 1200 pumps a little higher if i remember correctly.

and then the real question, what skimmer is going on this 11g....lol

you could do a new aquatic life mini skimmer, the new hydor mini skimmers,
BM nac 3, SWC 120 cone, tunze 9002, hell even a bakpak on the sump would be fine for 11g.

Why would you tell me an swc 120 cone, but tell me an a eshopps 100h is too large? Ill just dial down the rio. I have thought about the sea swirl over again and would rather use the box which i painted to match the back then drill it again. I modded it so it takes up minimal tank space being that the rotator is as close to the wall as possible. Also the box is on the right side the tank where it will sit will only have a front and left side view.

Last edited:
Sump and plumbing. Will probably tape off and paint plumbing black. Everything is unioned 2 on the drop one on the return. So i can just move the tank if i need too. The sump is acrylic and drilled plus painted back.

The reason for the ball valve on the drop is so i can do water changes out of the sump without disturbing display levels..

I need info on a glass shop that can replace the back panel. Or im going to have to buy a third one. So its gonna effing be 180$ total for one if i don't mess it up.

Back