Well now that I have one???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Flybynight123

I got an anemone just so my clown fish would have a nice place to live. When I found the fish I wanted got them home and put them in my tank they never even go to the anemone. I found out that most of the time only clowns that came from the wild will go to the anemone. How would I go about traning the fish to go to the anemone?

Each species of clowns prefer certain anemones. It is never certain if they will host in an anmnone, some jump right in, some take months,and some never do. What type of clown is it, and what type of anemone do you have? How long have they been in your tank together?

Last edited:
You might need to be a little more specific on the anemone name. Try to go to one of the more popular online retailers and look at the pictures of the anemones and see if you can identify yours...

well let's see Ocellaris host carpet anemones in the wild, my dood ken and i've seen it with other people too, that they can host bubble tips.
It can take sometime for the clownfish to host an anemone, i also agree, you should try to check out what type of anemone you got and like i said it might take a while (months).

you beat me on the post he he.
we got the same anemone in that case :D, well my clown came from the wild and at first he was scared, he wouldn't even go near the anemone.
I've had my anemone for about 6 months and my clown fish doens't even try, she likes my hairy mushrooms with the xenias.
Anyways, your clownfish might never host it or may be will host it someday.
Anemones don't really need to be hosted by a clownfish.
just don't forget they like sand, and a some sort of flow and good light.
I feed mine once a week a tiny little bit of frozen formula one ( the red kind)

or a carpet may eat big fish as well! These animals do not read books or ecological studies of clownfish preferance. Give it time they may naturally go to the anenome or not. Make sure you have enough light and water quality for your anenome to survive. At the point that the fish start feeding the anenome then you will know they are compatible, if not no worries they are both great animals to own. The "tank raised" clownfish have difficulty recognizing the anenomes as refuge because they must "coat" themselves with the material that prevents the anenome from stinging itself. On top of that the aneome can slightly change the make-up of the chemical thus rendering the clownfish without protection. This is where the carpet anenomes will eat their co-habitants. A hungry carpet will eat all sorts of things clownfish, loose diamonds, the needed jumper for your computer, etc. etc.

I will now defer to the "great and mighty" Elmo18 as he is the true expert on this issue. (my first meeting of him was when I was working at a LFS and I tried to explain to him the "symbiotic" relationship of clownfish and anenomes. talk about preachin' to the choir! I did learn a few things tho!

Hey Elmo! Dead fish Friday? (those of you that are wondering search!)

Back