Were to get Glass? & Cut?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SmileyFace1995

Well i'm needing glass to make a sump!
its going to be made out of a standard 55gallon long..
I went to lowe's & Home depot and they only sell picture frame glass, does anyone know where i can get glass for a sump & cut to the right size??
& hopefully for a reasonable price

look in your phone book for glass shops that are near you.
ask for salvage glass.

you can also use pvc or acrylic sheets inside other then glass. you should be able to get that at home depot

If you go the Acrylic route, make sure you get cell cast, not extruded. Cell cast will not absorb a large enough percentage of water to crack a 55 gallon glass tank. Doubtfull that extruded will either, but why take chances. Jason

i am a glazier and work for a glass company, i can get the glass you need and cut it. i would be willing to trade for corals and advise

When I made my sump out of a regular tank....I drew out my plan on the outside of the tank with a permanent marker. I took it to my local glass shop and chose the thickness of glass I wanted (acrylic was actually more expensive than glass). I talked with the guy cutting the glass and showed him exactly what I wanted. He suggested I leave the tank so he could make sure it all fit exactly. I also had the edges ground down so I wouldn't cut myself later when I assembled it. When you blue it in place with epoxy...use lots of it!!! After about 6 months I was moving something around and used to much pressure and popped a couple pieces and then had the pleasure of emptying the sump and temporarily using a plastic tote while I reglued the pieces again. I also reinforced the pieces with smaller pieces that I super glued into place before I re-applied the clear sealant. It's working like a charm again. I think it cost me about $50 to purchase and have the glass cut. I liked how premade sumps had a lid on where the water entered...so I also had a piece of glass cut with holes in it...so I could also have a lid---to help control the splashing.

Good Luck!!

When I made my sump out of a regular tank....I drew out my plan on the outside of the tank with a permanent marker. I took it to my local glass shop and chose the thickness of glass I wanted (acrylic was actually more expensive than glass). I talked with the guy cutting the glass and showed him exactly what I wanted. He suggested I leave the tank so he could make sure it all fit exactly. I also had the edges ground down so I wouldn't cut myself later when I assembled it. When you blue it in place with epoxy...use lots of it!!! After about 6 months I was moving something around and used to much pressure and popped a couple pieces and then had the pleasure of emptying the sump and temporarily using a plastic tote while I reglued the pieces again. I also reinforced the pieces with smaller pieces that I super glued into place before I re-applied the clear sealant. It's working like a charm again. I think it cost me about $50 to purchase and have the glass cut. I liked how premade sumps had a lid on where the water entered...so I also had a piece of glass cut with holes in it...so I could also have a lid---to help control the splashing.

Good Luck!!

So what exactly did you use to keep them inplace?
I was going to buy the AGA tube thing... ;)

So what exactly did you use to keep them inplace?
I was going to buy the AGA tube thing... ;)
To keep baffles in place, you'll want to use a high-grade silicone. RTV108 (Clear) or RTV103 (Black) are what you want to use, you can get them from Grainger if you have an account, or online has plenty of sites too, I used drillspot.com and was satisfied. These silicones are what tank-makers use for their large (>180g) glass aquariums, and are the strongest we can get.

Back