What and where to buy a macro lens for a DX6490

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Maggie,
you already have a macro mode on this camera, but if you wna to get more "macro" out of it. you will need the following:

1) KODAK DX6490/DX7590/Z7590 Lens Adapter $19.95 (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuer...5&Visible=false&navCategory=EKN027635&pq-pf=1)
DX6490 Accessories This black anodized aluminum adapter easily screws onto the front of a KODAK EASYSHARE DX6490, DX7590, or Z7590 Zoom Digital Camera allowing you to add 55 mm screw-on lenses or filters.

2) set of 55mm close-up filters....can get at e-bay if you want... do search on 55mm close up filter (any 55mm filter will screw into the above lens adapter):
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-55mm-Close-...ryZ74915QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know it has a micro mode but you have to get about 3" from it to get a good shot. I am hoping with the macro lens I do not need to move the corals and still get a good picture.will the lens that you posted let me take micro shots from 6 to 12" away?

Yes, it will allow you to use the normal lens function as well as the telephoto option on your camera, but at a much closer distance. Using the telephoto option with the close-up filters will allow for a longer working distance so you will be able to take pictures of the corals/critters further in your tank than just 3" away. If you have a large magnifying glass, you can get an idea of how this works. Place it against the front lens and focus on something in your tank to take a picture. Remember, the sharpest pictures are when you are taking them straight into your tank, not at an angle (camera is perpendicular to the glass).

Wow, I'm glad I came across this. I have a DX7590 and didn't even know there was something available for better marco shots. Do those screw-in lenses really work well?? Seems like a cheap enough idea!

From what I have found out so far they screw to the lens and all of the close up lenses screw into each other also.I have not found any place that has the +1+2+4+10 55mm close up lens kit other than the link above. If you find one some where else let me know.

That's great! Let's see your pics! Using close-up filters is the best way to go if you don't want to invest a lot of $$$ buying a new camera and a macro lens. While you may not get perfect picture quality compared to the higher end camera/macro lens, it will do what you want it to do.

I have a digital SLR with a macro lens and often use my close-up filters on it to get even closer. I also use my point and shoot Olympus 3 megapixal with the front tube and close-up filters to shoot a lot of macro pics.

Blazer88 said:
I just bought the kit this morning from ebay. The lenses included the +10 and were like $20 shipped. The lense adapter was only $10 shipped. I'll post my results once it shows up. Here are the links that I used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7610063571&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7609359357&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

any updates on how well they work.

I have been looking local and have not found them anywhere so i want to see how well they work before I order them.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy and haven't had much time to play around with them. Overall, I am happy with the results. The problems I see is the depth of field is completly shot once you use the lenses. I think that can be fixed with a different f-stop setting but will result with a much slower shutter speed. Only the very center of the picture will be in focus. The farther from the center the more blurry the picture will get. Also, the subject has to be very close to the glass since it's difficult to zoom in and still get fucus. I'm still messing around with them to get better depth of field, but here is what I have got so far.

Yasha Haze. Only his eye is in focus, nothing else. It would be a much better picture if his body and the rest of the rock was more clear, but oh well.
100_0027copy.jpg

Here is a recent Ric that I got. Only the mouth is in focus. Still looks pretty cool none the less.
Ricordia_Mouth.jpg

Here is another shot that I got. This one was with the f-stop at 8, ISO200, and I was able to zoom in all the way and still get decent focus. I'm still messing around with them to get the best pictures. The other Ricordia shot was cropped to focus on the mouth but this one took up the whole frame.
Ricordia_Mouth2.jpg

Blazer,

Nice pics! Remember, this is the economical alternative to buying a true macro len$ and a D$LR camera that will allow you more versatility in close-up pics.

You are on the spot with the depth-of-field and f/stop. Because you are using a longer focal length and the close-up filters, the depth-of-field is very shallow. Most of my pics are in the 1/2 second or longer range using an f/stop of > f/16 to get the most in focus. Shoot perpendicular to the glass, otherwise it will go out of focus. Always focus on the fish eye to make the picture appear to be mostly in focus.

I use a tripod, shut off the powerheads and shoot with a remote trigger or a time delay so that any camera shake is eliminated. Your only other option would be to shoot with a flash or auxillary lighting.

Back